Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Gas gauge malfunction... [vid] EDIT: working again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Gas gauge malfunction... [vid] EDIT: working again!

I have a 2001 TT 180Q. Recently I've been having some problems with my gas gauge. At startup, it fluctuates as seen in the video. Afterwards it pegs itself at full. Where is the most logical place to start diagnosing the problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ND99Kkt6E

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Default RE: Gas gauge malfunction... [vid]

It's a known issue with the TT. Bad dash gauge cluster. The cost to replace it new is about $900 at the dealer or you can have it repaired for about $300 if you remove it and send it out.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Crap... The gas gauge going is not a big deal I guess as long as I watch my trip meter. I'll wait for a few more dash items to break before taking it in

Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Site Moderator

Unfortunately once one gauge starts going crazy then other gauges start going nuts too. Like the tach will bounce, the speedo will stick, engine temp won't move, that kinda crap.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear

mine no longer reads below 1/2 tank... 1/2 tank is empty. thank god the low fuel light still works.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear

except for the fuel gauge, which I tend to rely on the trip odometer for, i think once mine goes i will just get an obdii dash comp like they have over at thinkgeek.com and other vendors, plus it does boost and voltage, speed and tach, though i am not sure of the refresh speed

Old 01-05-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear

haha yeah I have an '01 225 qc and I definitely ran out of gas the first week I had the car before I realized not to trust the gauge and instead to read the digital readout saying how many miles I have until I run out of gas. it sucked haha and that digital gauge readout sucks a bit too, because it'll be on like "305 miles" after I fill it up and then I will floor it in first gear and itll instantly drop to like "220 miles"... then ill drive "environmentally friendly" and it will go back up to "300 miles". somebody at audi should really get on that lol

Old 01-05-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

the digital readout estimates how many miles you have remaining based on driving habits. If you floor it and are getting 5 miles per gallon, of course itll lower until your driving habits are more gas friendly.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:10 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: eliTTe

mine no longer reads below 1/2 tank... 1/2 tank is empty. thank god the low fuel light still works.
So you're saying I should at least hear the low fuel notification beep? That's independant of the gauge?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

I had exact same problem with my audi tt 00 quattro... A friend of mine had it aswell with his 00 S4...

I live in the Middle East and heard it happens even more cause of the heat as well as being a common audi problem..

I have just got a complete new cluster to install in my car... will take 3 days though cause apparently they have to program the whole car again (windows, locks etc)... I am not doing it through the stealership... waay to expensive out here but through a car that deals especially in audi and vw's with technicians all from the dealer and all orginal parts...

My speedo says im doing 260 km when at a stand still haha !

Quick Reply: Gas gauge malfunction... [vid] EDIT: working again!