Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

grinding noise comming from front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Default grinding noise comming from front wheel

My TT has had one problem after another when it comes to the front end suspention/wheel berings. Ive had squeeky bushings, I need a new front stablizer bar that makes this annoying clicking everytime I turn the wheel, but the biggest problem I now have is this strange grinding/rubbing/squeeking noise the wheel makes on the front driver side. It gets much worse right after it rains and my car is drying off, and also anytime I turn to the right. It sounds absolutely horrible, and at times I can even feel the vibration from the grinding/rubbing in the steering wheel. I had both my bearings replaced about six months ago, and common sense told me that it was my bearing makeing the noise, but after takeing my car to audi 2 times because of this they tell me they cannot figure it out and that its tire noise most likely. I have since rotated my tires and still hear the same noise in the same place and its getting louder. Any one out there know what this could be, I dont have the time or patience to keep takeing my car in and haveing them tell me its o.k. . please help!

Old 03-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Default RE: grinding noise comming from front wheel

sounds like another wheel bearing problem that would be my guess with out looking at the car

Old 03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Could be wheel bearing, could be a brake pad too. When those things break loose and start floating around, they can make some damn awful noises as they are constantly contacting rotating parts. Just make sure it isn't a brake pad first. Rule of thumb: start cheap and easy, then work your way to difficult and expensive.

And you're sure that clicking isn't a bad CV joint? That could also explain the noise, but not as likely.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Senior Administrator

I agree w/Scho. ALWAYS go for the cheap solution, first. But, if the Strealership has already looked, and found nothing obvious, it isn't likely to be brakes, either. While they would be the cheapest thing to fix, if broken/bad, you could spot a loose brake part through the wheel spokes, usually. I'd also recommend visually/physically inspecting your CV boots for small rips or tears. There aren't too many options for rotating parts that could rub/grind/squeak enough to be felt up through the steering column. Bearings. CV joints. Brakes. Tire noise seems the most unlikely of all, IMHO. If the noise started after your bearing replacement, which isn't clear in your post, I'd say thhat's more than likely your culprit. If the noise preceeded the bearing replacement, perhaps a seance will reveal where the problem lies...

Old 03-06-2005, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Yup, I also concur. If the noise started after your bearing replacement then more than likely the new bearings weren't installed
properly. Perhaps they forgot to grease them or used the wrong type of grease? It all can make a difference.
Take it back to the Stealer that installed the bearings and let them do a do over and this time tell them to do it right!! [sm=nono.gif]