Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

HEX-USB+CAN or KEY-USB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear
Default HEX-USB+CAN or KEY-USB?

Ok, its time to get the Vag-Com thing going... Lemmingwinks too I guess.

Are all the "tuning" capabilities available through BOTH of these interface cables or only the more expensive one? Is Lemmingwinks compatible with both?
Do you have to buy the vag-com software seperately or does it come with cable purchase? Do you have to buy lemmingwinks software or is it free?

Anyone know the extent of the tuning ability with these tools? I mean other than diagnostics... will I use it for anything or is the most powerful thing it can do figuring out why you got a CEL?!

Before I drop $300-$400 on some cable... I need to know that I'll actually use it. I'd hate to pay that much and only need it to figure out I have a dead O2 sensor. Honestly, if I get a CEL... I'll figure out what's wrong without it. That's not a good enough reason to buy it if thats what it does.

lol... Advice? Guidance?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Default RE: HEX-USB+CAN or KEY-USB?

I want to know the same thing : ).

Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM

i think its time for me too but i would hate to drop $300-$400 for a cable[:@]

Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear

I wouldn't mind... as long as i can use it for more than finding the cause of a CEL.

If you can actually make changes and tune the car (change timing, change fuel/air ratio, change rev limit, etc)... then I will gladly spend the $400 on a cable.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

Off topic... looking for an Orange Haldex controller retailer online. anyone know where to get one online?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM

I know you can tune the timing and Air fuel i think im not 100% sure though.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

exactly.
Im pretty sure you can do a few things (thats why i listed those particular things), but once again... I have no clue, dont have one yet

Old 09-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL ross-tech FAQ:
You cannot alter boost, timing, fueling, rev limiter, or speed limiter with VAG-COM. You should contact a chiptuner if you wish to have those parameters altered.

Alrighty then. I'm not paying $400 who's only purpose is to figure out why my engine oil light is on (First guess is that my Eng oil is low) or why my CEL came on.

**Edit**
That's precisely the reason I asked on here. I would not expect ross-tech to be authorized to disclose any ability that infringed on copyright or other laws. If there is third party software that works with this cable, I also did not expect to see anything about it on there.

My question stands. Does anyone not affiliated with Ross-Tech have any real information that can help with this decision? For obvious reasons Ross-Tech can't legally tell you that you can use their product to infringe on other protected software on the vehicle's ECU.

Why in the world does everyone swear by this product if it does nothing but find CELs?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM
3rd Gear

Yes the vag-usb cable(ebay cable) will work just fine....i got mine for around 30 bucks shippped i think from an online ebay store. there is a test using VagCom to see if the cabel will work...it will make you save a serial number and if it does then you know your cable will work...saving you over 100 dollars. i have the ebay cable plus the 100 license from ross-tech. and yes lemmiwinks will work with the cable too! i havent tried though because i dont need to change anything yet until i do the water/meth injection. plus unless you know exactly what your doing you can really hurt the motor.