Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

How to change the Spark Plugs? TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Default How to change the Spark Plugs? TT

I'm hoping someone can tell me if there is anything special about changing the sparks plugs. I have a 01 TT Quattro 225 and refuse to pay $300 for someone to change the spark plugs. Can you let me know if there are any tricks or surprises I might encounter?

Thanks
Ellie

Old 11-08-2005, 12:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How to change the Spark Plugs? TT

spark plugs are still easy to replace you need just minor mechanical skills for example removing the coil packs on the spark plugs and top engine cover. Other than that it just requires the right tools socket wrench with sparkplug adapter. The rest is plug and play.

These are my spark plug recommendation: Denso Iridium Spark Plugs

Old 11-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks Russ

Couple of more questions, Are the spark plugs under the motor cover or do I have to reach under the car somewhere? Is there a trick to removing the coil packs?

Thanks
Ellie

Old 11-10-2005, 04:04 AM
5th Gear

spark plugs require a 16mm socket, I got my wrench on sale, only cost $50 shipped. Find a nice deep socket 16mm, and an extension for your rachet, and you'll be fine. Plugs are under the big plastic engine cover. Take that off with the 3 plastic connectors. Quarter turn, and they release. Cover comes off easier if you lift the back first, otherwise it wants to get wedged over the engine.

next up is coil packs, theres 2 hex head bolts holding each one, and a plastic electrical box overtop of the 4th, remove that, noting how it came off. To remove the connectors from the packs, slide the little plastic tab toward the back of the car, it only moves a little bit, and work the connector lose with the other hand. I broke 2 of 4 of these before i learned they only need to move a little. fortunately, if you break them, the connectors are still pretty snug, and should stay on by themselves. Once the connectors are lose, and the hex head bolts are out, the packs lift straight out of the engine, exposing the plugs waaay down deep in the engine. Replace your plugs with NGK BKR6EIX plugs, those are the cheapest you want to go, and they aren't cheap. ~$6.90 a piece, you'll need 4. Find them at advance, or whatever your local car store is. If you have a torque wrench, torque the plugs to about 15ft/lbs, if not, do it by feel, until they are pretty snug, but dont go putting your weight into it. Dont use anti-sieze on the plug threads, and be careful not to drop the plugs down into the plug holes, you might change the gap. if you dont have a wrench that firmly holds the plugs while you put them in, use a piece of tubing/hose and lower them in and get them started with that.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the info on the changing of the spark plugs but I ran into a little problem. After I took out the coil packs (amazingly enough w/out breaking any of the clips), there are some black plastic protectors in the spark plug holes. Is there any way to remove those? I can't get the spark plug or the socket thru. Any info will be helpful.

Thanks
Ellie

Old 03-06-2006, 08:59 PM
5th Gear

???

Nothing but coilpack ontop of my plugs. Take a pic if you can, I'm curious.