Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Just Curious

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Just Curious

What boost levels do 180TT's run on the GIAC program? Just curious as to the physical PSI increase as its not really readily available info and it relates to the lifespan of my turbo.

I peak at 12 and hold at 10 on the OEM programming. What would I be looking for with the GIAC an extra 5PSI or so?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:20 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Just Curious

No idea if this Dyno is helpful... It doesn't say the PSI but it gives you a good idea as far as power goes.
I just went to GIAC's website and did some digging around.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

Well, I peak right now at about 18 and can hold at about 16, but my weak point is the DV that I have, I havent tuned it just yet so... When I get modshacks boost machine and the tuning kit for my DV then i am going to try to hold at 22psi

Old 12-16-2006, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks but I know the gross output hp wise and the 225 runs a higher boost level from the factory to start. I figure I have a year left max on my turbo if I leave it alone before its at the end of its lifespan. Im wondering how much a new program is going to accelerate that demise.

I plan on a k04 upgrade anyways, but I'm curious as to how soon it will be necessary. Im looking for a specific parameter that tells me how much harder the ECU will push my poor old little turbo.

Im starting to think that maybe it would be wiser to just get the k04 andthe correctprogram at the same time and skip the GIAC setup for the k03 altogether. I know how much fun it would be though for that year so its a tough decision.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm make believe

you can easily run 20-22 psi on a ko3. the biggest problem is that it doesnt HOLD the boost very long and you'll see around ~12-14 at redline. If you have been allowing your car to cool a little before shutting it off will help preserve the turbo. People have chipped there cars at or beyond 100k and still runs great on the stock turbo. You can always just chip your car now and pay the upgrade when you decide to go bigger.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

The problem is the lifespan of the k03 is only 80-100k miles and im already approaching 80, and hell no i dont let it cool off Im not exactly trying to preserve the k03 I want a bigger one anyways. I dont doubt 'people' have chipped them at this point, im questioning the logic of it.

I dont want to know the max pressure I can run I want to know what a chip bumps it up to with no other mods. An exact figure, which noone seems to know for some reason. I just want to try to get an idea of how much faster its going to wear my turbo so I can setup a timelinefor my money for this project.

Yeah and at 22psi theres about a 70-80% chance of blowing the headgasket, so I wouldnt go telling people thats a good idea. Along with a host of other possible problems with jacking up the boost that high without proper preparation.

I want an answer in the form of "expect an extra 5-6psi' or something along those lines. Simple question with an elusive answer apparantly.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: DenimTT

The problem is the lifespan of the k03 is only 80-100k miles and im already approaching 80, and hell no i dont let it cool off Im not exactly trying to preserve the k03 I want a bigger one anyways. I dont doubt 'people' have chipped them at this point, im questioning the logic of it.

your stock turbo can go far beyond 100k. The logic is people want power and a used ko3 is about $200-$300

I dont want to know the max pressure I can run I want to know what a chip bumps it up to with no other mods. An exact figure, which noone seems to know for some reason. I just want to try to get an idea of how much faster its going to wear my turbo so I can setup a timelinefor my money for this project.

Most chips go from 15-18psi pending manufacture. People then bump it up with a boost controller. It wont wear it out any faster as long as you keep it within its effiecincy range < 22psi

Yeah and at 22psi theres about a 70-80% chance of blowing the headgasket, so I wouldnt go telling people thats a good idea. Along with a host of other possible problems with jacking up the boost that high without proper preparation.

I have yet to see anyone blow a headgasket and thats beyond 500+ hp. I dont see any other preparations you are getting at, the injectors can easily handle any power you can make with a ko3. Other bolts ie: exhaust, intake etc are always good to have with a turbo car.

I want an answer in the form of "expect an extra 5-6psi' or something along those lines. Simple question with an elusive answer apparantly.

if you just want a few extra psi, just put on a 4.3v diode and a mbc and run it to 16psi. Its safe and can be done cheap (depends on how much you spend on a mbc and boost guage if you dont have one already)

By the way im just trying to help you out so calm yourself.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

15-18 spike, or 15-18 hold? 225 or 180? The manufacturesers just wanna slap you with a power figure and hope you buy thier product, with very little actual tuning details.

I would think increasing turbine speed by almost 100% would create some wear and tear on the turbo regardless of its efficiency range (which Ive been looking for the flow chart from a k03s, also elusive).

A used k03 is about a waste of money, considering a k04 is a direct bolt on for a few hunderd dollars more brand new(obviously not from audi).

Yeah no doubt the turbo is capable of more then 100k miles, but on average its not feasible especially with a spirited driver. I work in an Audi service department, I watch these things get replaced all day long sometimes within as few as 60-70k miles.

Preparations such as fuel trim, ignition timing, colder plugs, a more efficient intercooler, headgaskets prone to popping at 20-22psi, collapsing OEM intake tubes, trans failures...yeah theres pretty much a ton of ways to completely screw up your car by just cranking up the boost(even with the stock k03 within its 'efficiency' range) without even mentioning the myriad of electronics exposed to the gross heat production in the engine bay at double the OEM boost level (the most glaring Audi deficiency, by the way. If you burn any part of the harness you replace the ENTIRE thing as they are hand made for each car.).

Im not worked up, but im not asking what you think I could do on the stock turbo and why either. I know the direction I'm headed with my project and am relatively well versed in how to get there. I just want a single digit answer. Maybe a small range of single digit numbers. It's kind of frustrating that a simple question like:

What boost levels do 180TT's run on the GIAC program? Just curious as to the physical PSI increase as its not really readily available info and it relates to the lifespan of my turbo.
Produces this:

you can easily run 20-22 psi on a ko3. the biggest problem is that it doesnt HOLD the boost very long and you'll see around ~12-14 at redline.
That doesnt help me or even APPROACH an answer to my question. But thanks for trying. It seems the number Im looking fgor is closely gaurded info.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm make believe

if you work for audi dealer you sure are dumb.

1) im not sure about giac but most tune it to 15-18psi spike and it will drop to around 12psi at redline
2) your turbo was made to run psi than what the factory limited it to, so not it want kill it quicker unless you mess with the wastegate to make it hold more boost.
3) A ko4-001 is a direct bolt on but is BARELY bigger than a ko3 and isa waste of $$$, a ko4-2X off a 225 is NOT a direct bolt on. you need a up-pipe from pro-imports to attach to a ko3 exhaust and 225 manifold + sw and injectors.
4) If you only want a extra 5psi then just use a diode and mbc and save your money to your upgrade.
5) Finally take a deep breath and stop being an a$$ and maybe others will be more will to help you

Old 12-19-2006, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

https://www.audiforums.com/m_414275/tm.htm

You manage to convince this guy his k03 was invincible too?

Yep, the 001 is not that much bigger, but it produces a fair amount less heat and holds boost all the way to redline and still outflows a k03, good for an extra 30hp or so which isnt bad for the $$ (about the same investment/gains as a chip) if you need to replace the turbo anyways. I'm going with a 20 and I know I need parts, but they are easily accessible to me andthats not relevent to this thread.

"1) im not sure about giac but most tune it to 15-18psi spike and it will drop to around 12psi at redline "

Thats all I needed, would have been a sufficient response on the 1st post. Not some BS about 22psi which IS actually quite a bit past the efficiency range of the k03 which ends at about 18psi (coincidence that that is the boost spike on aftermarket chip tuning, eh?)

But youre, right I'm an ***, and dumb to boot...I should have taken whatever scraps of information you blessed me with originally as gospel instead of actually looking for the information I wanted. I do apologize if you somehow got the idea you have the ability to get me worked up over some misinformation on a message board...Its more the norm then the minority so excuse me for persecuting you for the info I actually asked for.

Quick Reply: Just Curious