Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Losing Power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Losing Power!

So my CEL has come on and off about 3 different times, First one was the Haldex Control Unit supposidly and I got that checked at the local napeltons, second time it came on it was on for the whole day till later onin thenight and i'm thinking that was just a service reminder to get reguler maintenance which I need spark plugs, air filter, oil change, all that $hit, so that when off then sunday night took it out for a cruise and I noticed my car didn't have that up and go, it had nothing....So I took it to autozone since autowerks robbes the hell out of you and the guy said it was the mass air flow sensor. It's wierd because I thought it was something wrong with my turbo, thinking I was gonna have to spend more then I have to now(does that sound like the MAF went bad?)but, then later at night the CEL went off and my car had that nice kick to it again, and now this morning it's gone... I have never had a car do what I just explained...and I just got it like a week ago. Just seeing what you guys think...I want second opinions before I spend money and put a whole in my wallet.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Losing Power!

You might try cleaning the MAF. The MAF dies over time so you may not notice it all at once. I noticed a hesitation in acceleration. Next a small loss of boost. Than my car started losing all power and random points. Just my experience with it.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 AM

probably MAF.. when mine was going bad it caused a CEL and put the car in limp mode (no boost.) the CEL would cycle off and on occassionally. save yourself the time and effort of cleaning and just buy new.

if you clean now you're only delaying the inevitable.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Is it worth the money to just get a remanufactured one for like $80 cheaper?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 AM

get the codes dont try to guess the problem it could be something simple

Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Well the guy at autozone told me the code I forgot what the number was(doesn't help) but, he did say it's the sensor that controls your air to fuel mixture and he pointed right at it...It's right on the intake.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

That's your MAF dude. I don't know about refurb vs. new, I'd probably go new and not worry about it.
www.ecstuning.com

Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM

I remember reading somewhere the only part of the MAF that is refurbished is the housing. Apparently the element is always new.

Check out this thread HERE for a link Cincy posted on just the MAF Element for ~ $90. You'll need a security torx or pliers and some patience to remove it from the housing.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear

that was me that said only the housing is refurb.....and half the time they send that new anyway.....these coming from jason's mouth at ecstuning.com....the element is always new...cause its electronic they dont refurb it

Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 PM

without the code I wont even guess,
a vacuum leak/intake pipe loose/O2 sensor/EVAP valve or pipes and thats why the code is important

Quick Reply: Losing Power!