Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

MAF 5 point torx

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default MAF 5 point torx

Well, my check engine light came on...The car is running relatively normal, the rpms are a little jumpy here and there...I went and had a local guy scan the car and it came up with "Air temperature sensor", which according to Audi doesn't exist, then after searching on here a lot, I've decided to clean the MAF since the symptoms are pretty much dead on to what you guys describe...

ANYWAYS...

I went to take the MAF out and clean it today after Kegs n' eggs and it's got security torx holding it in...BUT, instead of a 6 point torx, it's a 5 point security torx. I searched the whole town for the bit, no dice. I searched online, found two places selling them, but only to approved service shops etc... Has anyone run accross this problem and solved it?? I tried going to the dealer to at least use the bit for a lil, no dice. I'm hoping to not pull the air box out. Any tips? TIA!

ps...great forum here...I'm a n00b to audi's, and audiforums, but not car forums (hence my search attempts )

Old 03-17-2007, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: MAF 5 point torx

you can break the clip off holding the electical connection if all else fails. mine broke and still works fine. it still is held very tight.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: MAF 5 point torx

ORIGINAL: MeanAudiA6

you can break the clip off holding the electical connection if all else fails. mine broke and still works fine. it still is held very tight.

Understood. But I think you misunderstood me...I can disconnect the electrical connector, but I can't remove the MAF from the air tube due to these two silly bolts...

Old 03-17-2007, 04:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: MAF 5 point torx - SUCCESS!!

Took out the "MAF housing" and got some channel locks on those silly torx. Hooooray me! now let's hope cleaning it turns the light off and fixes my car

[IMG]local://upfiles/32207/BFC5D6AAE3EC49E48822156266EEB525.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32207/882E82338E9F4B20BB0C696A54F1D68C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM

just a reminder to use something other than the security torx when putting back on so you're not in the same situation later.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:27 PM
2nd Gear

I had the same problem, searched the whole town and nothing. Dman Audi dealors. I am still trying to get the MAF off so I can replace it. Tried the locks but keep slipping off. Guess Ill try again.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 PM

It is possible to clean the maf without removing from the housing.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: diehlryan

It is possible to clean the maf without removing from the housing.
Yeah, I noticed that even if I couldn't get the MAF out, I could have just sprayed through the "screens"

But my engine light is still on guess I have more investigating to do!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:51 PM
2nd Gear

What was the actual code you had? That would go a little further in trying to diagnose the problem. There is an Intake Air Temp sensor that is located just upstream from the Throttle body on the intake manifold. But without the exact code it is a little tough to determine the problem.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

What was the actual code you had? That would go a little further in trying to diagnose the problem. There is an Intake Air Temp sensor that is located just upstream from the Throttle body on the intake manifold. But without the exact code it is a little tough to determine the problem.
I wish I knew! I'm going to go back next week and try to get the actual code from the guy. He seemed to think it was no big deal, reset the light, and I was off...an hour and a half later the light was back on...But the code reader did say "air temperature sensor failure"...or something along those lines. I'll update if I get more info!! thanks!

Quick Reply: MAF 5 point torx