Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Magnetic drain plug. Too small!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Magnetic drain plug. Too small!

I did some reading and thought I would buy a magnetic drain plug. I got it from... WWW.MAGNETICDRAINPLUG.COM.
From what I understand we use a 14mm plug so no biggie.I went through the site and got the plug, waited a MONTH and finally it arrives.
I go to put it in swap the plugs out the new plug starts going in nice and easy, everything seems good. Wrong, just to be sure I let it sit for a bit to see how it sealed and to my surprise it was dripping. so i tighten it a bit more but notice that it just didin't feel right (not tight).I start unscrewing it and noticed that it had some of the oil pans threads stuck on it, little shavings. It was about half out when I found these little alumminum pieces. I jiggle it to see if it was fully snug and nope jst a little loose. I checked my original plug and it shows that its 15mm-1.5. Am i crazy or is my TT special. Has anyone else had this problem when getting thier plug?
I have a 2000 180 FWD

Old 09-27-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Magnetic drain plug. Too small!

I have the same car and i got my plug at autozone for $3 and fit just right. And it was 14x1.5.

Sounds like someone stripped the pan before you and helicoiled the pan and got a larger plug. You can check to see what they hybrid oil pan uses, but i think its still the same plug

Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

I paid too muchthen. DAMN! you google. back to the point. Is your plug magnetic? When you went in did you wait for them to order it? Cause im thinking ill just go and see if they have a plug i can use.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm make believe

Just walked right in and they are by the oil and filters. There are regular plugs and the magnetic are like a $1 more.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

Ok off to the zone tomorrow. i hope they have a 15mm.
thanks man

Old 09-28-2007, 06:23 AM
1st Gear

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]... people look on the internet and pay good bucks, wait a month to get their stuff, it's more expensive and inconvinientto return it than it is to buy it, and some other people just go the simple way... the "flying pig"'s way...2 thumbs up for cincy

Old 09-28-2007, 06:38 AM
2nd Gear

wtf is the point of a magnetic drain plug... if the shavings are aluminum? *raises eyebrow*

Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

wtf is the point of a magnetic drain plug... if the shavings are aluminum? *raises eyebrow*
[8D]HA! That one just made me LOL!!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 AM
4th Gear

The oil pan IS aluminum. I'm pretty sure the engine, and it components are not made of aluminum...
And aren't those the shavings you'd want to catch?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

Somebody isn't good at recognizing sarcasm.

Quick Reply: Magnetic drain plug. Too small!