Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

modding questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear
Default modding questions

I've had my 225 TT manual coupe for a few months now and I'm thinking of doing some mods, but have questions first. I'll list them out, please feel free to comment on any or all of them. Thanks

1. DV - what're the benefits of upgrading? Any noticeable performance gains, or just a maintenance thing? What should I look for in DVs?
2. Chips - What do I need to get in conjunction with a chip, either before, during, or after? (i.e. turbo timer, CAI, etc.) Is a timer absolutely necessary, or just good to get? What's a good chip to get and why? Does it affect gas mileage at all?
3. Wheels - what information do I need to know and what should I look for? what are offsets?
4. FMIC - Will this give more power or just better cooling? or something different altogether?
5. Painting/window tinting - Any estimates on cost? for painting i'm not thinking anything fancy, i've just been noticing some rock chips in the front and hood and a few scratches; not changing the color.

Also, it's at around 45k miles. What sort of maintenance should I be looking forward to or keeping an eye out for? I feel like I've heard something about the timing belt around 60k. anything else?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: modding questions

ORIGINAL: Smecker

I've had my 225 TT manual coupe for a few months now and I'm thinking of doing some mods, but have questions first. I'll list them out, please feel free to comment on any or all of them. Thanks

1. DV - what're the benefits of upgrading? Any noticeable performance gains, or just a maintenance thing? What should I look for in DVs?
2. Chips - What do I need to get in conjunction with a chip, either before, during, or after? (i.e. turbo timer, CAI, etc.) It does not require that you add anything else in conjunction. Is a timer absolutely necessary, or just good to get? It's not necessary. I have a 225 also and my turbo continues to run after the car is off as is. I don't know that it's a turbo timer that does that... but a turbo timer is a "nice to have". It isn't a "must have".What's a good chip to get and why?That is a matter of preference. 3 Big companies are APR, REVO, and GIAC. APR is the mildest from what I've read (I have APR) and GIAC is very agressive.Does it affect gas mileage at all? It does affect gas mileage. However, if you drive your car much harder once it's you get the ECU "chipped"; you won't see the mileage benefits.
3. Wheels - what information do I need to know and what should I look for? what are offsets?
4. FMIC - Will this give more power or just better cooling? It primarily gives more cooling. I wouldn't say it gives more power. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it works to help you get more power out of the other components existing in the system. Cooler air = higher Oxygen content per cm².or something different altogether?
5. Painting/window tinting - Any estimates on cost? for painting i'm not thinking anything fancy, i've just been noticing some rock chips in the front and hood and a few scratches; not changing the color.

Also, it's at around 45k miles. What sort of maintenance should I be looking forward to or keeping an eye out for?These cars have a bad reputationwith timing belts. The stock timing belt has been known to break way earlier thanAudi claims. the water pump has a plastic impellar that breaks easily. If the timing belt breaks while driving, you're looking at about $3,000-$8,000 in parts and labor. If you buy the upgraded replacement kit, it'll cost you $300 for the parts and roughly $600 in labor(average from what I've read on here)I feel like I've heard something about the timing belt around 60k. anything else? The Gauge cluster goes out on quite a few also. Additionally, many TTs give false temp warnings/readings due to a Coolant sensor. There is an upgraded coolant sensor that can be bought online for about $29 and installed in about 3 minutes by yourself.

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 AM
3rd Gear

Sweet its nice to have someone take care of the noobs! Oh Smecker did you read the FAQ at the top of the page?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 AM
2nd Gear

Haha. Well, I don't know much... but what I do know I learned from people helping me out. It's only right to return the favor and answer what I can.

The best advice I can give you is to read as much as you can about different modifications and if you choose to mod your car... do the work yourself. doing the work helps you understand how it all goes together and how it all works... together. Not to mention you'll value the car much more when you put your own time and efforts into doing it. Some of it may be difficult (by all means, don't bite off more than you can chew), but its rewarding afterward knowing that you did it yourself. Plus, it saves you money.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

You know what funny everyone is saying the belt goes early mine went at 100k and now i got 141 and its still going strong i love my little TT oh and i just got my free lip spoiler put in yesterday WOOOHOOOOOOOO

Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
4th Gear

Tints - mine were 225 lifetime warranty as in if the start to turn purple or peal.. some black tints go purple, then they redo them for free...

as for painting, that all depends... if your staying the same color your looking probably 2-3k depends on where you go. if your going to a new color its going to be double and then some because of all the prep work that goes into it... thats what ive gotten out of painting my old bmw

Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Well I just got a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Coupe. I like it alot, but I am looking into putting spinning wheels on it. some people find it's tacky, and so do I, if it's on a car that doesnt deserve spinning wheels (I saw a cavalier with them the other day). I like the look of them, and on a classy vehicle they are sick. I was unable to find spinning wheels for the Audi though. I have a 225/40R18 tire, so I need 18" wheels and it just seems that spinning wheels arent made for this model.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get spinning wheels, and approximately how much they'd be?

[IMG]local://upfiles/37946/1584C729AEBA4D18B652CC4EFCD2428F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 PM
4th Gear

ok 2 problems... please dont getting spinners... and 2.. why did you get a car from sutherland auto... im in pittsford and they are S***... they lie about everything... i guess 3 things... if you live in NY im pretty sure spinners have become illegal, but youll have to double check

Old 07-03-2007, 08:40 PM
4th Gear

2x

Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
3rd Gear

3x

Quick Reply: modding questions