Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Need to get rid of my TT...looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Need to get rid of my TT...looking for help

Been lurking here for years and it makes me sick that this is my first post, but sadly it is.

I have a huge problem and am looking for help/suggestions.

My wife was driving the TT and something fell out of a truck in front of her. She couldn't avoid it and hit it going 70. Long story short, it damaged the front end but insurance will cover it. 1 week later the timing belt mysteriously slipped off (57k miles). Being a zero tolerance engine this caused significant damage which insurance will not cover (don't get me started). We pulled the head and it revealed that all of the valves hit and bent at least 4 of them. The pistons also have damage to all 4. We are looking at anywhere from $2500-$7000 in repairs (waiting on official estimates and replacing the pistons might be optional).

I think I basically have 2 options:

1. Take the hit and fix it. Probably will get rid of it in a year or so due to babies in the near future.

2. I know there are people out there that look for vehicles like this that can fix it themselves and turn a profit.

According to KBB, I am about $3k on the plus side. So I have some room to work, but not much.

If anyone knows of someone that would like to take on a project like this or has any suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks
Ryan
Littleton, CO

Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Default RE: Need to get rid of my TT...looking for help

how much are you looking for?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

I'mlooking to getaround $9k. KBB's for $13,500.

For what it's worth, the tires have ~2k miles on them and the brakes are1 year old. UsedMobile 1 every 3k miles.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:46 PM

Sorry man I just got mine for 9k in perfect working order. Honestly you are looking about 6-7k honestly. Sorry to hear about your situation. Your best bet is to find a mechanic and sell it to him. Good luck.

Jason

Old 07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Really, what year, miles, engine?

The mechanic that has it right now informally offered my $6k but is still waiting on word from another shop that will do some of the work. He said he might come up if the final bill goes down.

At this point I'm leaning towards fixing it, driving it for a while, then selling it. Just trying to minimize my loss.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear

You can't really tell someone the value of their car without knowing what it is first...

If his is a 225,with low miles and a new timing belt, it's a lot different than a 180 FWD with over 100k miles with the original timing belt.

So... What is your car? More details =more help.
We know it has under 60k miles.
Year?
225 or 180?
Quattro?
Is the price withthe damage fixed, or as is?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Details are important:

2000 1.8T Quattro
57k miles
silver with grey interior
comfort package
bose audio
spoiler
other than affore mentioned damage, body is in perfect shape

I am willing to fix the body damage since insurance will cover this minus my deductable of course. $9k would be without the engine work being performed. But, I have already spent $1100 just to find out what is wrong, so whoever purchases this would know exactly what they are getting into. Also, the estimatewould certainly include everything that goes along with a new timing belt (i.e. water pump, seals,etc...)

Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

How much is the estimate for the body damage?

I'd tell your mechanic 6k as is. Let him fix the body and under the hood. That plus your check from insurance should bring you close to the 9 you are asking.

With cars, If you don't do the work yourself, you are better off cutting the cord as soon as possible. It always costs more than you get out of it. Plus that accident isn't going to help you get book value even if it is fixed.

If not here is your next best option in 3 steps.

1. Torch the car
2. Collect the $
3. Hope no one important sees this thread.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear

Oh, and if you go the second route, you might as wellfirebomb your mechanic's garage with him in it for charging $1100 to tell you your timing belt broke.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

That's funny. Actually the $1100 is the 11-12 hours of labor to pull and reinstall the head.

It was obvious to me that the timing belt had come off before it was even towed from the side of the road.