Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Need Some Input on next Mod and Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Default Need Some Input on next Mod and Wheels!

I am looking to buy the next great mod for my car. Power seems to be pretty good right now, but falls off in high rpm so I want to focus on other things right now. I have $500 to spend right now.

I have been shopping for a Turbo Timer and was wondering how difficult the install is going to be. I am pretty mechanically useful, but cutting and splicing ignition wiring is a bit scary to me.

Currently I am also considering motor/ trans/ dogbone mounts. How difficult would they be to install?

Also, I lost the link to the TT wheels gallery, does anyone have a picture of a TT on Stern ST-1 wheels (split 5 spoke with big lip) ? I am looking for some wheels and always like these so I am curious how they look on the TT.

Finally, tires: I am a tire ***** and cannot decide on what tires to get. The wheels are going to be 18x8 38mm offset. So, what size can I run without rubbing too much. Anyone have a recommendation on tires with moderate grip, good wear characteristics, and low price (20,000 miles and under $125.00)?

~Thanks, I know I just asked a bunch of questions. I am a noob.

Current Modifications:
-Unitronic Stage 1+
-TIP
-Gutted Airbox
-Resonator delete exhaust
-Coilover suspension
-Boost Gauge

Ordered Parts:
-Cupra R front lip
-Front/rear slotted rotors with Mintex pads
-OEM Haldex controller for my broken stock one
[/align]

Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Default RE: Need Some Input on next Mod and Wheels!

Those ST-1's are sharp looking wheels. Are you going with the silver or the hyper-black?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 PM

thinking of silver right now...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
5th Gear

I've been a broken record about this lately, but I'll say it again. Higher density a-arm bushings are more than worth the money. I've had Powerflex bushings for a couple months now, and the difference is amazing.

I'll be running them until I get some solid track time this summer, and then re-evaluate. I think they're great for street use, but I've heard as you start to get serious about tracking, its time to move to a spherical joint. We'll see. Absolutely no complaints for street use though, that's the main thing.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 PM

I cannot confirm the A-arm bushings, but I can feel the dogbone mount moving when I shift. I am leaning toward the engine/ dogbone mount and then wheels/tires in a few months.

~unless anyone has a better plan

Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
5th Gear

you could have brand new a-arm bushings, and I'd tell you to replace them. Its not a matter of bringing the car back to par, unless you're counting par as pre 2000 recall.

Simply put, the car understeers like mad. Poly a-arm bushings remove the understeer. What a chip does for power, these do for steering.

Its $100 for the front and rear bushings for the a-arms, chump change.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear

the Stern st-8's are pretty nice...
i think your next mod should be a DP. That would help with your power up top and you will improve overall through the rpm range.
turbo timers are pretty simple to install. I would look for a DIY and do it, i have never installed one on a tt but i cant imagine it being much different.
the motor mounts will be easy to install.