Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

new to audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:19 AM
1st Gear
Default new to audi

Hello everone,
I just bought a 2003 audi tt quratto used, and I am so thrilled with my car. I have been a sports car guy my whole life and having a 1991 mazda miata and a 1973 trimph tr6. this car has to be the most fun of them all. the car i bought has 62800 miles on it and I have read a little about the timing belts issue. i will be honest it has me scared a little. the service manul I have says the 60,000 mile service was completed. I see nothing about timing belts on there. can you guys tell me a little about the timeing belt issues and how to look at my belt. I have now manuls on the car... again thanks and glad to be a part of the group.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:55 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: new to audi

The belt may look fine, but unless you have x-ray vision to check on the inside of the water pump, and the insides of the belt tensioner, its best to just replace all of it if you're over 60K

Failing water pumps and belt tensioners are usually the culprit for damaged engines, and theres really no way to tell if they're good or not until its too late.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

so i should change more than just the belt?? the water pump anf the tensionn idler. i had a local audi mech. quote me $445 to change the timing belt and cam seals....so i sould ask about the sstuff too

Old 04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

Wouldnt hurt. The water pump shelled itself on mine, thats how my belt broke.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:25 PM
5th Gear

Who's your dealer, because thats an excellent price for a timing belt job, unless they're not replacing as much as they should. Generally, from Audi, a timing belt job is somewhere between $600-$1100, from everything I've heard.

Look at this, and if your dealer isn't doing anything like that, you're wasting your time/money.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=278