Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Default New guy here

Hello all,
I have been searching for a new car....well new to me. I have looked at benz which I am a huge fan of, Lexus IS, and now the Audi TT. I think I am going to buy a TT just because I like that its considered a luxury car and also its pretty quick, looks fun, and looks great, especially lowered.
Anyway, I have been lurking around reading the problems that these cars have, random things that people post such as cel, starting problems, idleing problems, etc. Out of the first gen what year cars are the better ones to get? Are they all pretty much the same? I know with the MB the 2000 on were the better years of the E320's. Just curious as to which ones if any were better with less problems. Also what should I look for when looking at these cars? Thanks everyone in advance, I hope I can get one of these things soon. I'm looking at the hard top, the roadsters are nice but I like the look of a ht. Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

I've got mine up for sale, here's a link:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4110465

It has a few well done, sensible mods and looks pretty nice. KBB/NADA values are around 18,500. I have about $4,000 worth of mods into it, but am asking $17,500 (or pay off with a decent trade) for mine that has just over 50,000 miles.

You can read the FAQs at the top of the TT page, or ask a few more specific questions that the community will either answer for you, or link you to the answer.

Last edited by taifighter; 11-25-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks.
Nice car but a tad out of my price range.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

I'm open to reasonable offers and trades w/cash

One thing to watch for is the timing belt/tensioner. Lots of guys were having them fail around the 60,000 mi mark. Audi launched an extended warranty for certain years (the details are fuzzy, it's best to talk to a dealer to get the most accurate info) that may negate any worry you have... they are inspecting cars for free and if they pass inspection, the system is covered under an extended warranty for a period of time. My car in particular is covered by this inspection until 80,000 miles. I have 30,000 miles to go and if my belt fails, they pay for everything.

Also, they launched a similar campaign for the gauge cluster. I really like my dealer because they replaced mine just because the pixels were a bit dim in the upper corner

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Read the faq. Check to see if the general maintance has been done (tb, halidex fluid, ect. Maintance is expensive!). Also verify the gauges in the cluter work (gas, temp). Don't buy the cheepest one either, you'll end up spending more money getting all the maintance and repairs done. Keep in mind the tt can easily become a money pit.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the info. The common issues you guys are stating I did read. I guess its not too bad. I just have to do my homework when I am looking at one of these cars.
After 100k miles has there been any real issues mechanically? I know to check to see about the belt, alt, water pump, gauges, pixels. If everything has been replaced or worked on I should be good right?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
SoCal Crew Member

mines up for $15k...

Old 11-26-2008, 04:02 PM

^ are you thinking on getting a new tt?? Or new'er
I drove a 08' today! Man if I could aford the $700 monthly payment! I would havt taken it home!!