Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

new guy w/good question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
1st Gear
Default new guy w/good question

Hey everybody, I'm Tai from Michigan. I just picked up an '03 225 Quattro and I love it. I come from the DSM world where cars are more quick than they are classy, but I think I can get used to Euro smootheness.

I have my eye on a couple mods, and they raise a question: If I chip my car with one of the bigger companies like APR or GIAC, and purchase the Nitrod performance meter (nitrod.com... seems way better than a G-Tech) which monitors a whole bunch of engine infothrough the OBD2 port (including boost), will the Nitrod meter see a gain in boost or does the chip fool the computerto run more boost while only thinking it's running the stock level? You know, like a piggyback ECU or a SAFC?

Do aftermarket chips actually raise boost or do you need a MBC? I don't wanna hit 'limp mode'.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: new guy w/good question

no experience with nitrod, so I don't know how it would act, but a chip changes parameteres of the ECU, no trickery involved. With a chip you don't need a boost controller. Theres also a very inexpensive diode mod you can look into if you plan on going big turbo at some point, so your $500 chip money isn't wasted when you need reprogramming for the bigger turbo. Theres a ton of info in the forum FAQ about that, and if you go that route, I have a pile of diodes, so I'll supply them to anyone here for free.

Also, take a look at www.ross-tech.com, the vag-com cable they sell can access just about anything thru the OBD, its audi/vw specific, and you can clear DTC's, change coding (like make your windows go up or down with your key fob w/o being at the car), as well as read/log any sensor the car has.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Hey, thanks for the info. I've been reading all I can on here about these chips, but never found any concrete numbers of boost levels. Is there an average psi that a 'stage 1' chip will put out? I've seen the 265hp number as approx formost chips, which seems to me like only a few pounds.

What is the stock boost psi anyway? I'm pretty sure I won't ever go past stock turbo setup. Like I said before, I come from DSMland, and now I'm pretty much over having a big turbo setup.

I just ordered a Modshack VTDA and a Forge Splitter. I'm checking into getting an exhaust fabbed up instead of paying big bucks for a name brand kit. With those mods and a chip, prolly some wheelsand tires, I think I'll be content. Maybe a small FMIC since it seems prety simple to stuff in there. Reliability is key!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 AM
5th Gear

From the TT FAQ:

Q. How much boost can I run in my TT?
A. Here is a rule of thumb:
Stock 225: 17-18psi
Chipped 225: 22-23 psi
Stock 180: 14 psi
Chipped 180: 18 psi

All chips are roughly the same, who you go with is based (I would say) on who is local for you, so you can get the support if you need it, and second, on how you want you power to come on. Some come on more agressive than others, but I don't really think theres too much variation in max Hp numbers between chips when all is said and done.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, I've seen that 'how much boost can I run' table before, but it didn't say 'how much boost DO I run' with a chip... know what I'm sayin?

I think GIAC is gonna be my closest local dealer, even though the dealer who carries them is about two hours away from me. The companies never really say how their chips extract that extra power. Do they increase timing and add fuel, or just up the boost and lean the mixture out a bit? I still haven't found the answers to these questions, or the question "what psi is the stock boost level, and what psi is a chipped car's boost level?"

Maybe you can shed some light?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

A tune remaps the ecu to a new boost level, does not fool the ecu. most chips run around 22psi, stock on a 225 is 14psi(I think)

Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

All right, great. That's what I was looking for! Thanks to both you guys for your input.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

Yes, I was pretty sure that the stock boost on a 225 was 14 too. I have a chipped 225 (Revotechnik, one of the top 3 alongside GIAC, APR) and I boost to 21 sometimes 22.

I came from the DSM world too Tia, 97 GST spyder with a Forced Performance Big T28 and supp. mods. You will find these cars are a different beast.

No boost controller is needed.....the chip will get you to the levels posted. What a chip does is pretty much what you stated...it is not just a simple "turn up the boost" program.

To be more exact here is what my chip maker Revo says about their program from their website....

Typically we will change about 35 different tables in a standard remap. Of which load, boost, timing, and fuel are all adjusted as well as the variable cam timing. Some tuners change only one table while most others no more than 6. By increasing one table it may be indirectly increasing another table and causing it to "max out" or be at the limit of the table. This effectively leaves this table ineffective in providing necessary data for the control systems. We have the ability to rescale any table to add to its range. We have many proprietary methods and programs that we use to make the most powerful and smoothest software available.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

Different is better in my case. The TT is replacing my Talon as my fav car little by little every day, especially after last night in a snow/ice storm.

So, do I need to have all my above listed mods done before I get chipped? Or will the chip adapt to add-ons such as exhaust without having to be reflashed or whatever?

Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear

The first thing I did after having the car for a month was get it chipped. It is one of the biggest bangs for the buck. Before or when you get it chipped make sure you that you replace the stock divertor valve (aka bypass valve in the DSM world) they tend to have trouble holding the upped boost. As you must already know...install a boost gauge.

Another mod you should also consider is replacing the turbo inlet pipe. The stocker on the 225's are known to collapse in on itself after being chipped. I have experienced this myself...sudden loss of power around 5000rpms. I had that replaced after having this happen a few times. They will run you a little under $200.00. Purchase from Forge Motorsports or APR.

Yes your chip will adapt. I saw an increase in boost after adding a 3" downpipe alone.

Quick Reply: new guy w/good question