Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New Headunit: Need some help with Amp wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default New Headunit: Need some help with Amp wiring.

So I bit the bullet and got a new headunit. the harness I got with it is the metra 70-1787 harness from crutchfield.
LINK HERE

the harness has 4 preamp input wires RF LF, RR, LR. Since our Bose amp only powers the rear speakers
(as far as I know) I only have to hook up the rear connections?
Also, do i need to ground my ground loop isolator? guy at radioshack said it differs for different brands.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: New Headunit: Need some help with Amp wiring.

u only need 2 to hook up 2 pre amps. i did the same thing and i dunno why but all my speakers work front and back, the only thing is that you cannot control the fader (rear and front) when u try doing that all power goes to the back ( dunno why) so u wanna leave the fader in the middle. do you have blewtooth in the new HU?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

yea you will the isolators or else you are gonna hear a big noise everytime you touch any button on ur new HU.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
2nd Gear

i hooked up all the little rca doo-dads... didnt know what the amp powered and what it didnt.
You will need the isolator. I just put it on one of the things and it stopped popping.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

First off, thanks for the help everyone!

Yep, I got a Bluetooth addon for the hu.
Guess I'm going to try the ol' trial and error mehod on which RCA's to plug in (have a feeling just the rears is gonna do the trick)
I'm not worried about the fader, as you can set the volume for each preamp output on the hu. I'll just play with that.
I know I have to put in a ground loop isolator, but my question is: there are two brown wires coming off of it. Apperently some amps don't get the signal when it's grounded, and some don't when it's not. So does the ground loop isolator actually need to be grounded?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I tried hooking up an xtra amp the the stock bose unit. Was going to run a hi to low converter from the back speakers into the new amp. But didn't have the tools to take off the paneling. So I gave up on it. haha

Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 PM

I am horribly confused by what you guys are saying...

So, can I replace my head unit myself, and can I get some pictures such that I do not mess it up. I hate running a adapter for my iPod, so this might work out really well...

Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

I'm installing it this weekend. I'll post a DIY afterwards, because I don't think there is one floating around for the TT headunit install.
That is if this forum will actually let me post it, otherwise I'm just gonna get really frustrated, screw the diy, and go for a drive...

Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

yes you can install it urself audiaddict all you need is to pull out the old bose radio. disconnect it put the new trim for the new HU (gotta have the new wiring harness) with pre amp rca's. i got mine from ebay with the antenna converter. the antenna has to be powered otherwise u will not get any signal. the hardest part is to put the wires back in there. you will be fine any questions feel free to ask. umm by the way for the new HU u dont have to tear apart the whole car!! just take the old radio out..

Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM

what is the best wiring harness for this? who makes it where can we get it?