Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New toy? a lotus elise or viper anyone had one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:32 AM
1st Gear
Default New toy? a lotus elise or viper anyone had one?

I recently sold some of my construction equiptment & I am thinking of a new toy. I dont know what direction to go with the TT I have had a ton of cars (over 30). The wife just got a new car, so I have the go ahead on a new toy. If I drop close to $5000 in the tt with a bt kit. I might be happy for a while,(I will never get it back out $) but I know i will want something more. I love the looks of the car and the handling. So I complating keeping it ( I'm sure it would be fun in the snow) (But I also have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 I use for my business) and using this other toy for special occasions, But I hate when people dont drive their cars. I Started to do this on my 95 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo it had 8000 miles when I got it. (never had seen rain)some old man had it before me, After many crazy upgrades. I found myself not wanting to drive it to keep the miles off, But I didnt enjoy it. So I said screw it & drove it everyday like I stole it, rain shine or snow. I had to get rid of it when I got my first home.and boy did I miss it. The audi has been my first nice car since I sold the Supra. To be frank the bug has bitten. I want more, my price range is around $30k which I have found several 2005 elise in that range or a older 96 viper gts. Which I love the styling of both. The elise might be more daily driver freindly and upgrade freindly. the viper on the other hand will rip your head off from the factory. I know many of you are are thinking mid life crazyness, and maybe that is it. I have a feeling the garage and the drive will be full with 6 cars between the 2 of us.Any one have a positive or negative experience from either, or any other suggestions?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: New toy? a lotus elise or viper anyone had one?

Lotus Elise hands down. Actually I would get the Lotus Exige (The performance model of the Elise) The Exige was just a performance model but it drove so much differently that they gave it its on name altogether.

Vipers and Lotus Exige/Elise... are like Apples and Oranges.

It'd be like comparing an Ford SVT Cobra... and a TT. Yea the Cobra is faster... but by no means does it have the prestige or class of the Audi. A Viper is way faster than the Exige/Elise... but you can get the Elise/Exig brand new for the price of a used Viper and it is frigging hands down 150% more classy and nice than a Viper. The lotus makes a statement that a Viper cannot. Sure a viper DOES make a statement... but only that you have money. The Exige/Elise says you have money, taste, and style.

Lotus all the way brother.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

Elise hands down.
Like stated above the Elise has class and look the viper is a gas hog with an over sized underpowered V10.
If your looking for a large engine sports car get a Z06.
But the Elise is an amazing machine i would pick that hands down.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: BlackRaptor

If your looking for a large engine sports car get a Z06.
Amen. Didn't even think of that.
If you're going for class, prestige, style, AND performance... Exige/Elise.

If you're looking for pure power and high end performance, go Z06, Audi R8, RS4 (with mods),SS Camaro (SLP Package & LS6 swap).

The viper is an overpriced, overhyped gas hog (like stated above) that can't get traction when it counts anyway. those things are friggin squirrely.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

It sounds like your in a similar situation as myself. - I personally am going to keep my TT. - I have started a bit of a car collection on my end. - I currently have in my garage - 2004 A8 / 2002 BMW 745I Sport / 2000 Audi TT / 2002 Mercedes C240. - Now that noted the TT is my coupe obviously, however the size is kind of a downfall. - Now myself I am looking for another toy. - Might I suggest a 2003 BMW M5? - There are several on ebay with in your price range. - There is one I am looking at, its $34,000 .... but its AMAZING inside and out. - Bright red on the outside, tan leather on the inside. - Beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plxNfU-PA2c

If that doesn't make your dick hard I dont know what will.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Like most of the others I would go with the Lotus Elise. It even has a Toyota engine! It is a bare-boned racer tho from what I have read, not much in the comfort department, but it sounds like you wouldn't mind!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
2nd Gear

The lotus is a great car if it is going to be a weekend car, or something you take to the track. I've personally driven them...in the city they are fun for about all of 15 minutes... however after awhile hearing the road...the bumps and all the joys of HARD driving get annoying VERY fast. - If your looking for a toy its a great item to own, but if your looking for a car to drive more than just on weekends... i'd suggest a different car.

Again, like you I dont like watching my cars just SIT in the garage....I drive my cars as often as I can.... but again...I love cars more than girls... haha

Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
2nd Gear

Get a used Elise from europe & put a 1.8T engine in that bad boy! Well that's what I'd do...

Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 PM
SoCal Crew Member

if you have some extra dough lying around, get the Lotus Exige-S. Supercharged 2zzge engine. mmm.

but the exige and elise are fine too. once you hit 6.5k rpm,the lift in the VVTL-i in the 2zzge is amazing. take it from me. there's a 40-50bhp gain from the 6.5k - 8k powerband during lift.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

get a caterham or ariel atom, don't think you'd get bored with either one of those. not daily driver friendly however...nor is the elise/exige for that matter.

Quick Reply: New toy? a lotus elise or viper anyone had one?