Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Newbish question (sry)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Newbish question (sry)

What is the difference between stage1, stage2, and stage3 parts? I've tried to research it, but nothing is coming up to help on google or AF. Thanks

Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Newbish question (sry)

more advanced parts....normally you mod as you go along..it helps you decide what your going to get

Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
3rd Gear

modshack.info is this what your talking about?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

No, not exactly. Like, I have looked extensively at modshack.info, and deduced that for intake, at least in the case of his mods, that: stage1 is a new Air Filter setup, stage2 is moving down the pipe to the **** airflow tube, and stage3 is moving even further down towards the N75 valve with the boost machine. So, what I would like to know is: what is the standardization of these terms? For this specific instance, stage1 - 3 has been defined for us, but if I was to ask about, say, an exhaust system, then what would the stage1 - 3 determinants be?
Example: stage1 - catback system, stage2 - nokitty exhaust, stage3 - whole new exhaust system from the valves back (manifolds, extractors, etc)? I know that this is probably incorrect in referring to stages of exhaust systems, but that gets back to my initial question.
However, I am not just asking for the sake of these two systems. What if I wanted to be able to talk about clutches, turbos, brake systems, suspension, etc? Do I need to know the stage/ progressionbreakdowns of all products available for these different setups, or is there something to the terms of stage1, 2, 3 that would aid me in discussing all systems of a vehicle, rather than specific topics?
Hopefully I was able to make it a little more precise.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear

well yeah say for instance my stage 2+ clutch is a stage 2+ because its capable of holding way more torque and HP than a stage 1or 2 clutch. it all depends on what your talking about. some items like a clutch can be upgraded to whatever stage you want depending on your Torque and HP needs. but like a stage 3+ turbo kit is that for a reason...you have to upgrade a lot of things in order to make the kit work. manifolds(intake and exhaust) injectors, fuel pump, fuel rail, exhaust, intake, DV, FMIC, etc etc this help?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

There is no set standards as to what a stage I vs a stage II may be. It all depends on the company that makes the product. Lets say APR has a stage I which they say is their chip, and the Stage III+ is a whole new kit. Whereas for a SRT-4 a Stage I upgrade may be a new turbo and exhaust manifold. And the Stage III, may be a whole new engine. I hope this helps, there really are now set rules as to what makes a stage III a stage III, it all depends on the company that is making the products.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Yeeeeaaahhhhhh that's gettin there,but still sounds a bit hazy. I guess what I'm getting at, is at what point do we cross the line from stage2+ and all the upgrades you did to get that, to stage 3. But if I understand correctly, it's like this: you buy a stage1 kit of any system, and put it on, but something isn't acting right, so you figure out what you need to make everything peachy, then at that point you're sitting at stage1. Ok, so you then decide to upgrade some other system of the car, and repeat until everything checks out again, and now you're at stage2. Repeat until out of money?
It would seem there is no definitive line to cross when doing this. Is stage 1 oem? Is it possible just to take a stock car and jump to stage 2 or 3 right away? That would be more cost effective.
And from your example about all the things you have to upgrade to make the stage3+ turbo kit work -- how do you know what these things are?

Edit: just now got to read 225tt's post.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

Lets say for example that I have the Modshack Stage III installed in my TT right now. However I have APR's Stage I which is their chip (not really just pretending). So I have one companies stage I and one companies stage III, but that really dosent make me a stage II it just means that I have the most that one company offers (stage III) and the basic that the other one offers (stage I). Can I tell people I have a stage II TT. Yea I guess you can really tell them anything that you want, but I just tell them it stock except for the exhaust and the intake, let them figure out y their GT mustangs is getting eaten by a little european car whose engine issmaller thantheir 2L of Mountain Dew. hahaha you should see the look.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

haha that's great. Is your intake black? If so, you should tell them that it's stock, but it sounds that way because you cut a hole in the bottom to make it sound kewl, and also make sure to tell them that the exhaust is stock, but you put tips on there because you couldn't find the cash for the real deal. Then see how they react! Just make sure they don't crawl under the car

Old 01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

wow! thats all i have to say, no offense but are you new to modding cars, i hope so.

Quick Reply: Newbish question (sry)