Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

periodic catastrophic failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Cool periodic catastrophic failure

Hey all. Have a 2001 TT roadster. LOVE it. But for the last year or so, I have been having a problem the dealer cannot diagnose. Maybe you've heard of this. All of a sudden the check engine light flashes, power drops, and there's a powerful grinding noise and vibration that comes up through the pedals, seemingly from the engine compartment. I pull over and then, voila, it stops and everything is completely normal. This was happening rarely; now it happens every time I drive and takes longer to recover, meaning I am crawling along the curb until it stops. Plus I can hear a mechanical buzzing noise, like a switch comes on and engages during the problem. Then it clicks off and the problem stops.

Of course the mechanics drove it 86 miles during the last week and it never did this once. It did it multiple times on the way there, though. So cosmic joke on me. I am wondering if anyone's heard of this in their TT. The shop says they cannot tell what it is unless it is actively having the problem when they hook it up to the computer. I am flummoxed as to what to do.

p.s. got a fix-it ticket for no front license plate. Thanks to forum members fo the post on using powerful magnets. Got them at gassboys.com and got my ticket signed off without having to drill holes in the body.

Gratefully,

Bip

Old 07-23-2009, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear

Being that you're getting a CEL, would seem your mechanic could get the codes and be able to diagnose.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

The shuddering or grinding is likely just old mounts and bushings. Check engine light flashes like that on a serious misfire. If the misfire is severe enough, it could theoretically cause that issue...

Grinding noise, I have no idea. Are you AWD?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
5th Gear

ESP/ABS? that could/would make a grinding sensation thru the pedals.

sounds like a pretty major hiccup.... not heard of anything quite like that.

Might suggest buying a cheap code reader ($35-50), and trying to grab the codes yourself as its happening. Really dont know what else to offer...

Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by achTTung
ESP/ABS? that could/would make a grinding sensation thru the pedals.

sounds like a pretty major hiccup.... not heard of anything quite like that.

Might suggest buying a cheap code reader ($35-50), and trying to grab the codes yourself as its happening. Really dont know what else to offer...

ABS would feel more like a rapid "kick" in the pedal I think...

Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
5th Gear

naw. You might not have quite the experience with the ESP as I would. You happen to use it a lot in the snow... its just a buzz up thru the pedal as its trying to brake a wheel, as opposed to an 'oh ****' stop with your foot thru the floorboard.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

^true, I only get to use it in the rain haha...

Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM

Love the idea of the cheap code reader. Where would I get such a thing?

And no I am not AWD.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

any advance auto parts, pep boys or autozone should have you covered.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

Is it an automatic? Try putting it between gears and see if it makes a difference. The on/off switch noise makes me think it's more mechanical, rather then a sensor.

Quick Reply: periodic catastrophic failure