Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Plug install

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Plug install

What's the secret or procedure on replacing spark plugs? Assuming there are brackets that need to come off so the coil packs can come out? Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Plug install

its very easy... just pop the hood and take your cover off and youll see the 4 coilpacks... just look at the top and youll see a little tab and just push on it and then disconnect the coilpack...

its very easy, i guarantee when you pop the hood youll see what i mean and itll be a breeze..

takes maybe 20 minutes to do the whole job (make sure to gap your plugs correctly)

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

Yes I did try already, can't seem to disconnect the connectors, and is the charge piping in the way on the left side? I know the right two are covered by stuff but never looked to see how it comes off. Other than that, it looks simple. I am gapped at .028

Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm make believe

You just need to pull the little clip back harder until it clicks. Then the harness will come off easy and you can pull the plug out. If push comes to shove, use a flathead to help with the tap. Just DO NOT use a flathead to remove the pack, this can and will damage it.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

The connectors are a pita to get off. I ended up breaking one with a screw driver... no problems yet though.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

You just need to pull the little clip back harder until it clicks. Then the harness will come off easy and you can pull the plug out. If push comes to shove, use a flathead to help with the tap. Just DO NOT use a flathead to remove the pack, this can and will damage it.
Not as easy as it sounds. I just changed plugs this weekend and if they haven't been changed for a while those connectors will be pretty much stuck. I would push the tab and when you hear a click it is disconnected from the tab. Gently use a LARGE flat head screwdriver and slowly pry on both sides or the top until it moves back. Then slide it back. Take out the Coil pack and then in future put some small amount of electric grease on the plastic part of the coil pack before reconnecting, that will make it easier to take them off the next time.

Also the bracket that covers the right two coil packs can be removed by using a No 5 Allan wrench. I would suggest one with a large handle like a screwdriver kind. That will make it easier
for you to reach them. Put the bracket aside and you will have access to the right two coil packs. Take off the connector and slowly pull out the coil packs.
Took me a good hour to do it right. Use Anitseize on the plugs threads and Dialectric grease on the tip of the spark plug. If your sparkplug wrench does not grab the plug on the way out you can use a 6mm hose to pop on the tip and pull out the plug after it has been loosened. I had to do this because my sparkplug wrench rubber insert didn't hold the plug all the way out of it's cubby hole

Car runs a lot better with new plugs! The old ones in there were pretty worn and were out of gap. I will check my plugs on a semi anual basis just to be sure.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

Well I swapped them out today, it wasn't that bad! I did notice that 1st and 2nd are much more responsive!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Skipponator

Well I swapped them out today, it wasn't that bad! I did notice that 1st and 2nd are much more responsive!
Congrats! My gas mileage increased too since I swapped plugs. I have the one heat range cooler plug gapped at .028.
Copper Rules

Old 02-27-2008, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

I went to the local Autozone for those NGK BRK7E spark plugs... they didn't know what i was talking about. They only had teh NGK BRK6E which are OEM gapped to .032. So i don't know how to get plugs that are gapped to .028. Why do we want them gapped at .028 instead of .032 anyways? advantages? Someone please shed some light.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear

You gap them yourself! Get a plug gapping tool.

As for why, it's to create an ideal desired spark length. Too small and it'll go out too quickly. Too big and it'll pretty much get blown out by the charge.

Quick Reply: Plug install