Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Project FMIC = Fail

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Project FMIC = Fail

So me and a few of my friends went out to the parking lot figuring we would install my FMIC in a couple of hours. We start to remove screws to take off the bumper and after removing all the ones we could see the bumper was still firmly attached so we pulled out the fender skirts to see if anything was behind them pulled out two more screws that we uncovered and bumper was still firm so we start trying to remove the headlight enclosures which we also failed at all we really acomplished was getting a good look at where the FMIC should sit and coming to a group decision that it is much to large to fit there. So after putting it back together to sit overnight two of us decided that it would be worth it to just pay a shop to install it while the other two think we should try again because we have nothing better to do tommorow.

The intercooler is 31.50in. wide, 10.30in. tall, and 3.50in. deep. 2.75in. inlet and outlet.So the question is should we try again or let a shop do it for 250$ and for anyone who has put a FMIC on there car any advice you could share would be helpfull.

And just to add some extra humor into this all 4 of us our blackhawk mechanics and between all of us we couldnt remove a cars bumper

Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Project FMIC = Fail

^ good god. that intercooler's huge!! ur gonna get a huge drop in pressure. is that size with the end tanks?

31.50 x 10.30 x 3.50 = 1135.575 cubic inches. that's way too large especially on stock turbo.

if you're not running a BT setup, ur better off selling it and getting a smaller core.

someone i know's core is 22.5 x 6 x 3 = 405 cubic inches, 810 cubic inches with the end tanks. (and for the record, i talked to the head of evolution racewerks, Fred Su, and the end tanks are excluded in pressure drop. it's all in the core!)

tCarbon's, Forge and APR's FMIC's are all under 800 cubic inches.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

I will be running a BT setup soon my kit is backordered untill the end of may I was just gonna have everything put on at the same time but figured I would save some install costs by starting things myself and the dimensions I gave are including the endtanks I was hoping to get the FMIC in this weekend and hook up the W/M next weekend then I would only be paying the shop for clutch kit turbo kit and rods/head

Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 PM
5th Gear

I'm guessing his dimensions include the end tanks, or he pulled that IC out of a big rig... ; ) Thats still a good sized cooler though!

To remove the bumper, you have the row of screws across the top of the bumper, just under the front edge of the hood, 2 long studs on either side that, you pull the wheel liners to get to those, and 2 screws on the underside of the bumper. Pull from the sides, it should come out. Sometimes the threads from those studs snag on the sheetmetal, and the bumper doesn't want to come out/go in as easy as it should, but a little grunt work here and there usually gets it free'd up.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Ahh I saw those studs you mentioned but I couldnt get my socket into it and it was getting dark so we stopped now just to get the FMIC to fit once we have the bumper off

Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm make believe

ABout 6-7" of that is the endtanks. BTW, if you cant get the bumper off with this page, it is a HUGE FAIL!

http://www.ttstuff.com/accessories_c...er_install.php

Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

Cool thanks for the help guys we will definately get the bumper off tommorow getting the IC to fit might take us awhile though hopefully I wont have to trim the bumper but if all goes well I can mount my W/M pump in the space where 1 of the SMIC currently sits

Old 04-27-2008, 02:59 AM
2nd Gear

I believe it's a 10mm. I use alot of extensions for that part.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

So today we got the bumper off easily and the intercooler is a little bit to wide to fit between the radiator and the bumper support bar so we decided to see how it would look mounted under the support bar. We first decided that some flat iron would make a good mounting bracket for it but after going to home depot and buying some we got back and realized we had nothing to bend it with so we decided to try some 1/8" steel pipe that we could bend with channel locks and use a hammer to flatten the end so we could drill the bolt hole we got one bracket made before our drill died so tommorow were gonna finish the brackets and I found a muffler shop that will bend the plumbing for me and if the guy there is any good at tig welding I will have him just weld the top of the intercooler end tanks to the support bar. anywayz the pipe that we bent for a bracket is sturdy but not so friendly on the eyes and I was wondering if anyone had a idea to make a bracket that would look nicer?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:42 PM
5th Gear

yeah, buddy up to some guys that run/work at a fabrication shop. Dude, if you were local, I'd blow your mind with the potential my shop has.

Quick Reply: Project FMIC = Fail