Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Question about CD Changer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about CD Changer replacement

Ok, my CD player gives back ERR 3. The catridge won't eject, cycle through CD's... anything. I tripped the changer to eject the catridge and didn't see anything unusual. There is a red light on, so I'm guessing the changer has power.

My question is how easy is it to replace the changer. It's located inside the quarterpanel behind the driver's seat. Will the dealer have to do this? if not, are there any special tools I need? Is the correct part number 4B0 035 111A for a 2000 1.8 w/Bose upgrade? I've seen some replacements on Ebay from reputable sellers.

I appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 12-05-2006, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Question about CD Changer replacement

ORIGINAL: uajeremy_05

Ok, my CD player gives back ERR 3. The catridge won't eject, cycle through CD's... anything. I tripped the changer to eject the catridge and didn't see anything unusual. There is a red light on, so I'm guessing the changer has power.

My question is how easy is it to replace the changer. It's located inside the quarterpanel behind the driver's seat. Will the dealer have to do this? if not, are there any special tools I need? Is the correct part number 4B0 035 111A for a 2000 1.8 w/Bose upgrade? I've seen some replacements on Ebay from reputable sellers.

I appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Jeremy
Why not just replace it with a Phatnoise? I love mine and it works with the stock headunit.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

I was actually looking at those a couple of hours ago.

Where do I buy them from? How much do they cost? Installation costs?

I went to the website but didn't see them list the Audi's for sale.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear

You can pick them up on Ebay... just search for "Phatnoise Audi" for under $150. You'll need the Audi cable that connects the phatnoise box to the OEM CD cable.

The install is a pretty easy DIY project, no special tools required. All you have to do is pull the rear sear bottom, left rear seat back, left side rear panel loosen a few screws and reinstall the Phatbox. I did mine two years ago for less than $150 including the cable.

The phatnoise box fits in the stock OEM CD player's place, you might need to drill a couple of different holes in the bracket depending upon your setup.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Wow. it'll actually fit inside the oem compartment. That was my biggest concern. I didn't want to reduce the trunk space.

Will there be any issues with the security code for the radio? I'm not the original owner and I don't have the code.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear

As long as you don't run down or disconnect the battery (which is not required for the install) you won't have a problem. Once you install and connect the Phatnoise, you just have to follow the configuration instructions which utilize the radio controls to match up the phatbox with your version of the headunit.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

I've been searching around and I'm a little confused with the adapter cable.

Are any of these what I'm looking for?

link 1
link 2
link 3

thanks for the help.

jeremy

Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear

None of those you have listed.

Get this one from WorldImpex.com

Old 12-08-2006, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

I just bought my phatbox!!

It included the mounting bracket for an A6.

I plan to install it into the oem changer spot. Do i need another mounting kit?

Also, any tips for installation would be very appreciated!

Thanks

Old 12-08-2006, 09:30 PM

On the Phatnoise website it says you can only buy new ones direct from the dealer. I called yesterday to inquire about price (to put on my xmas list) and was told Audi is no longer selling these. They are unavailable. I asked why and the parts guy told me because everyone has an IPOD. Damn those iPOds, I can't find a single reason to want one but a million reasons to hate them.

Quick Reply: Question about CD Changer replacement