Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Radio Noises--Scary, Loud, Startling

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Default Radio Noises--Scary, Loud, Startling

My 2001 Audi TT has developed a nasty radio problem--it also happens while playing CDs. It will make loud popping sounds (the subwoofer-type sounds are like a body dropping in the rear storage part of the car). It will also make cross-channeling, distorted sounds and loud tones--sort of like old-style CB-radio interference. They are VERY loud regardless of the volume I sent on the radio or CD, totally random, although tapping or hitting the side of the radio (on the right) will make them go away for a while.

What is going on? I recently had the airbag circuit board unit replaced--are there anyplaces in common where radio wires might have been disturbed and generally rubbed the wrong way during that repair?

If you want high adrenalin levels for no reason, these noises are for you!

Let me know what you think may be going on.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Default RE: Radio Noises--Scary, Loud, Startling

do you have an aftermarket radio in? The popping could be the amps turning off then back on which would make it do that... most likely a short in the deck somewhere pull it out make sure all the connections are tight

Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Radio Noises--Scary, Loud, Startling

It's a GhosTT.