Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

ran outta gas...topped up...car still stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default ran outta gas...topped up...car still stuck

So I was driving tuesday night pulling into the parking lot at my school and my revs started dropping. I thought boost leak? Parked, popped the hood, nothing.

Then I realized DUH im outta gas. To double check I started it and sure enough it quit real quick. Second time this has happened purely due to my disregard of the gas light. Last time I started it up a few more times and kept it giong a few feet to get outta the road. So yesterday I got about a gallon and a half of gas and put it in. Didn't bother starting it seeing as I didn't need to go anywhere. Today I got up for class and it was 30 degrees out, it wouldn't start. So I drove my buddy's car until it got warmer out.

Now it's 52 and it still won't start. Then I realized that I don't hear the fuel pump...checked the fuse, it's fine. Think I blew my fuel pump? Or what else could be wrong?

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: ran outta gas...topped up...car still stuck

If a fuel pump can go bad from running below 1/4 tank consistantly, trying to force fuel on a empty tank could easily kill it quick.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

I figure. Know a good place to get an OEM one/good aftermarket replacement? Also aren't there two? i.e. one in the tank and one under the rear seats? how the hell do I tell which went?

genuinevwaudiparts has it for $325. ew.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm make believe

The fwd has a single and the awd cars have something a little differnt since they have a split tank. Apr has the 225 pump they use for the stg 3 kits for $210. You should be able to get a walbro 255lph pump for about $100shipped and good for 500hp. Just not 100% sure it fits. A search on vortex should provide answers.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm make believe

Get a hold of arnold on vortex (passatG60), he sells the universal one and should be able to get you what you need.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm so does it just pull out from the rear seat then? No dropping the gas tank necessary?

Sorry I'm reading up on Vortex right now but everything in the 1.8T is generally MkIV VW oriented.

EDIT: posted at the same time. I'll hit up arnold then, looks like it'll be $150 for the kit. ATP sells JUST the pump for $130...PagParts has it for $90. Looks like some Vortex people just ghetto-shim it to fit.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm make believe

The fwd cars will all be the same.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

fuel pump uses gas to lubracate it... running out of gas is like runing out of oil.... its not uncommon for the pump to bust when you run out of gas (in all cars).

Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

damm gotta keep that gas in there

Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear

So I tore apart my back seat, got to my pump.

I plugged my multimeter into the leads for the pump (the fat brown and blue wires on the harness) and they read 0 until I put the key in then they read 2 volts...so I know it was connected right. But the voltage didn't budge when I turned the key or anything. I got out of the car, locked it...it still read 2V. All the way until I unplugged it. So I guess the 2V is just some threshold.

I took the 12V power cables from my amp and poked the leads on my fuel pump with them...and I heard the usual WHIRRRRRRR of the pump. So apparently it's fine.

So that lead me to believe the relay was to blame. I got a new relay from the dealer today, put it in, car still won't start. Cranks...but doesn't start. [:@]

Not sure what it is now. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: ran outta gas...topped up...car still stuck