Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Rattle in the trunk - hatch?

Old 01-16-2017, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default Rattle in the trunk - hatch?

I have a rattle (going over small bumps) from the rear. Entire trunk parts removed.

It seems to be less when driving with the hatch open. Shaking the hatch does NOT generate the sound.

Want to take the hatch trim off, but can't figure it out.
Most Aud/VW have a screw in the inside pull handle. My MK1 TT shows what looks like a fastener, but not sure.

Any links for DIY removal of the hatch trim?

Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

My problem...
2013 MKII Audi TT
It was a metal on metal rattle, something like a screw driver being lightly tapped on a metal desk leg. Going over bumps or speed didn't matter, it was just crazy random. I removed everything in my trunk trying to find it, and nothing worked.
I would open the trunk about half way and bump the back of the trunk with my fist, like right on the Audi Logo, and I would still hear the rattle so I knew it was inside the hatch itself.

My solution:
If you go to the passenger side, right side on American cars, there's the plastic liner that goes all the way across the trunk. The one that you can't figure out where the screws are. Just pry the corner down, it's held on by the clips you'll see in the last picture.
When you pry that corner down enough and look inside (third picture), you'll see the culprit. I stuck a rubber wedge underneath it to keep it from rattling. The nuts were tight so that wasn't the problem.

Last edited by dougfreeze; 02-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dougfreeze
My problem...
2013 MKII Audi TT
So last picture is INSIDE the hatch? Assuming towards the bottom since it seems to be showing a lock actuator?

Old 02-05-2017, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

Yes.
I'll edit the post to describe that better.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vtraudt
I have a rattle (going over small bumps) from the rear. Entire trunk parts removed.

It seems to be less when driving with the hatch open. Shaking the hatch does NOT generate the sound.

Want to take the hatch trim off, but can't figure it out.
Most Aud/VW have a screw in the inside pull handle. My MK1 TT shows what looks like a fastener, but not sure.

Any links for DIY removal of the hatch trim?
Figured it out (the plastic fastener inside the pull handle in the hatch broke during removal, could not figure out how to remove without destroying).

With everything remove (including trim of hatch), still rattling.

Decided to look at suspension instead. Replace shock itself. That fixed it. Rattle likely coming from worn bushing were shock connects to chassis (top) since sound appeared to be coming from hatch area.