Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

rear mounted turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Default rear mounted turbo

ok so i am goin to be getting a rear mounted turbo sometime in the furture i was just wondering if anyone has had anything similar installed on to their car? i am haveing this done by sts turbo the have a web site at ststurbo.com its tight as hell i suggest looking at it. they have a universal package that would fir the tt i have been talking to the owner for a little while now and am finding out more and more about it but if you have something similar let me know ill post more about it if anyone is interested.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:44 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: rear mounted turbo

I would think that it would be an ok idea, but the TT already has a turbo on it, or is this for a different car? I know someone who was going to do this on their chevy impala, but the turbo lag was way tooo much so he decided against it. I have seen a Mid engine Golf VR6, that was a pretty sweet setup and seemed like it would be alright, but they had to convert it to 4 wheel independent suspention.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM

its for the tt. but the thing this kit relocates the turbo to basically where your muffler/silencer would be. the set up is very powerful providing 15hp for ever pound of boost. the package i was going to get would only be pushing about 5 pounds of boost but would up my horse power to 255 at just 5 pounds of boost. also at that low of boost the turbo has no need for an intercooler an because it is located at the rear not only is it running at close to 500 degrees cooler on hard funs but is also getting colder denser air because the intake is also relocated to the rear. ive talked to the owner and he says that i can expect to get my car to 255 at the least with the kit an just 5 pounds of boost. but anymore then 5 pounds an a intercooler would be needed which is fine since the tt already has a factory intercooler.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear

The piping losses back to the intake would be huge.. plus there isn't a lot of room to route the piping needed. You'd be money ahead by upgrading the turbo in place and adding the intercooler.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm make believe

i hat to say this but you are some kind of special if you are considering replacing the normal position for a rear mounted turbo. Plus regardless of what car you have 180 or 225 you can easily reach 255hp with the stock turbo. You would be running 20+ psi but guess what, your engine can easily do it, plus the stock turbo gives you a great amount of torque to get your car moving. Plus tu run 5psi and no intercooler you would have to run something like a 30r or 35r to get that kind of performance. Those turbos alone cost $1100-1250 and with that money you could surpass the 255hp. Plus space underneath the car is limited so good luck with that. You might have to run a fuel cell in the hatch and get rid of the stock fuel tank.

The only reason to even try this is to keep your stock turbo and add a second down the exhaust for a sequential turbo system. So what im saying is unless you have money to burn and what decreased performance then go ahead and when you want to b*tch about it will be here to say "we told you so."

Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 AM

actually there are dynos of this product with this set up an trust me they are anything but decreased performance an its cheaper then a new intercooler an turbo upgrade. $2000

Old 02-06-2007, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

That first 2 grand will only get you thier hardware...that wont get your car running. I can think of at least another $1000 in parts youll need to get to make that work.

Send me $3000 and I'll send you everything you need to make 255hp and we'll call it even.

STS is for non factory turbocharged cars and, if you missed it on thier site,...mostly V8's.

I dont think you have the SLIGHTEST idea on whats involved in making that system work on your car, and most importantly work better then what you already have. so you can send STS $2k and sink into the money pit making it workor you can send it to me and youll get the same output, but either way you're getting hosed.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:40 AM

damn you guys are harsh

Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 AM
2nd Gear

You asked the question, we answered. If you didn't want to hear something different, then you should just go ahead and do it and don't ask for advice next time.

We are just trying to keep you from making a huge mistake. The reason no one has done this on a TT is that it just doesn't make sense. That turbo won't help. Just look at the losses you would have to deal with... Plus, in order to take advantage of a different turbo, you'd need to change the software to adjust fuel/air and timing. I'd be very wary of anyone trying to sell you on something like this without showing you an example of this on another TT that they have installed it on and dynoed.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:05 AM
3rd Gear

Hey guys, im gona take my motor out and make it into a twin turbocharged mid engine VR6, that would be pretty sweety wouldnt it!

Quick Reply: rear mounted turbo