Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

rear sway and shock Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default rear sway and shock Question...

I have searched and searched on these subjects and found great info by really great folks out here... thanks!

First, I should say my new (to me) little dream car is a lovely moro blue 2002 225 Quattro 17" 'fat fives'.... needless to say, Im so very happy with it! I got the dealer to throw in the new timing belt/water pump/roller bearings/tesioner job with the car (car has 65k miles)

What I have decided on first is the Neuspeed 19mm rear bar... I am obviously hoping to achieve the neutral steering that would feel so nice I'm sure, I have actually got it to "push" a little in tight turns on some local back roads during some frisky drives! (did I mention I love this car??)... should be here monday The first question regarding that is about installation, do I need to put it up on like a pair of ramps in the garage? Or do I NEED to remove the wheels? In that case maybe just jack up one side at a time??? I always do all the work on my cbr1000rr bike, but this car is uncharted territory for me!

The second question is about coilovers... This seems like the way to go for me from what I've read, BUT, I live in New Hampshire, and up here we get snow and well I don't want to lower the car much if at all.... Sooo , if I get lets say the PSS9(?) Billstein coilovers, can I retain stock ride height, or just lower it a tiny bit??? THIS is a major concern for me, any advice is welcome! Like I said, I did search here, but everyone mentions how much coilovers lower the car, but non one has mentioned the ride height remaining stock level...

....also, I have begun chasing the various creaks and rattles, and truly, they are there, but not too bad... and one last thing is about aftermarket bodywork, I need a new front skirt (cracks, beat up), and I dont like the new A8 style, but this car came to me with the Rieger kit (I actually really like it) and I can get a new Rieger front like the tattered one (will take 8 weeks :-\ ), but I would like a different front that also installs over the stock unit if possible, again, any suggestions are soo appreciated! ....by the way, any new front skirt I get is being paid for by the dealer (part of the deal) , and painted by an excellent local body guy that I know well... please chime in if anyone knows of a really good looking one!!

After suspension, I will pick all your brains about whether to go with APR, Giac, or Revo, and which DV, lol... this is going to get fun!!! too bad I have to save up for each mod!.......hmmmmmm, maybe its time to sell the bike

Thank you all!

Barrett

Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: rear sway and shock Question...

Swaybar...you don't need to remove the wheels, you can just put it up on ramps. Thing is...TT sits low, I've never succeeded in putting it on ramps lol.

Coilovers...they are adjustable ride height suspension. You can adjust your ride height from near slammed to stock if you like, just need a coilover wrench.

I need a new front skirt (cracks, beat up), and I dont like the new A8 style, but this car came to me with the Rieger kit (I actually really like it) and I can get a new Rieger front like the tattered one (will take 8 weeks :-\ )
A bit hard to piece together what you're saying there, but I take it you have the Rieger front lip?

There's some other options for a front lip...I think my favorite is Caractere:

Check www.lltek.com. You could also go with the OSIR FCS: http://www.zmaxautosport.com/product-desc.php?prodid=21

After suspension, I will pick all your brains about whether to go with APR, Giac, or Revo, and which DV, lol... this is going to get fun!!! too bad I have to save up for each mod!
General consensus is that APR's programming isn't aggressive enough, GIAC's is very aggressive and Revo's is somewhere in there. For a DV, just get a Forge 007 it's widely used in the TT community and a proven performer. Looks **** too.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

wow, thank you for the quick response... nono, I have the ooold Rieger, yes, in the small pic above! mine IS just a lip that over lays the stock one... I want to get a new lip, and have looked around and a lot of them require that you cut off the stock one! I do not want to do that..

I like the look of the Caractere as well, nice! does that one lay easily over the stock one?

awesome that the coilovers can stay up to stock level, I'm sure if I have adjustability, that I will mess with them, but I will surely start at stock height, that way also I will maybe not need spacers.allignment, etc..

...heck, after I put in the rear sway, I may let the shocks wait and go with the chip and valve and hoses FIRST, woooooohooooooo, lol... does the 'chip' really feel great? do I NEED to get new intake stuff and exhaust parts right away, or will the software feel great alone??

...hard to get it on ramps??? because ramps are too sleep and it scrapes??.... what is a back yard mechanic to do?!

THANK YOU!

Barrett

Old 07-28-2007, 01:53 PM

I just got chipped in the last week and I can definitely feel the difference. I got the APR chip, and it just feels like it's pulling a lot harder especially in 1st and 2nd than it was before I got it.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

Fantastic, yes, this may be next after the sway.... awesome

B

my new friend

[IMG]local://upfiles/37922/5050535C3196405498D1E72165EE4AD9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 PM
2nd Gear

Damn! That's really nice looking. I think you caught the light just the right way to show off the blue paint.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

HA!! your very kind, lol...she is a beauty eh?! I love that blue, it is nice and dark... if you look close you can see the need to get a new skirt though...

B

Old 07-28-2007, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Can I look up its skirt?

Old 07-28-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

you have to catch her first

if I cant get it on ramps, how the dilly can I change the rear sway myself??! do I need to give in and pay for this job, ick?!!

Old 07-28-2007, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

put the rear up on jack stands and you'll be fine. they're like 20 bucks for a decent pair if you don't have them.

Quick Reply: rear sway and shock Question...