Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Removing/ replacing engine support

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Removing/ replacing engine support

O.k so last I did a TB job on a TT did it all step by step had an engine lift and the floor jack. When it came to the engine support the damn thing was hard as hell to get out, not to mention get back in. I'm just wondering if anyone whos done the workhas a nice little trick to removing and replacing?
I plan on doing another one this following weekend any tips,threads, ortricks are highly appreciated.

TIA

Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Removing/ replacing engine support

I've done two now, I wish I could tell you what I did the second time to make it faster, but I'm not even sure. First time took someone holding the motor mount while I screwed around trying to get it aligned and get a bolt started, second time, I did it w/o breaking a sweat, by myself. With any luck, as long as you paid attention to what you were doing the first time, you should be able to recognize what slowed you down before, and try something different.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I dont have a clue how i got it out but I sure remember how it went back in. if I only had an extra inch in the bay it would have been cake. I couldn't find an easy way but I think round two on this will be much easier. This first time around was a great learning experience though. Forgot this part too, the damn thermostat is b!@t$hwe waited on that for next week. I think theres an old thread on that one in here . If anybody can post it I just cant search for it right now, I think you made it Achttung.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:02 PM
5th Gear

I can't remember/find anything, but I can tell you some of the tools you'll need.

10mm socket
universal joint
approx. 16" of drive extensions
small hands

Theres a black metal plate that has to be removed down under the intake manifold, as well as your oil dipstick tube, and a fat ground wire (think it was ground) off the alternator. Alternately, you can remove the alternator, but thats a PITA.

It really is a tight fit in there, a magnet wouldn't be a bad idea, you're almost guaranteed to drop a bolt, as you'll be working blind.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Yeah same instructions that i read on the other one. I bookmarked it I'll know for sure if it was you once I get to my home computer. That seems just like what i read, someone said you can also take off the exhaust manifold but that seems like too much work.

*Anyone and I mean anyone with advice on removing/ reinstallingthe engine support please feel free to post.*

Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 AM
1st Gear

Just checked my bookmarked threadand itsnot your thread achttung, thanks for the help though.
Its appreciated.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 AM

I had to replace my drivers side engine mount and thought it was a piece ofcake. Maybe took 20mins.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm, would you like to elaborate on how you did it? I could use a tip or two.
TB deadline is on wednesday and I'm gonnaget up early and start workin.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 PM

I dont remember doing anything specific. Removed all the bolts from the top with the engine supported from teh bottom. Then I dropped the engine an inch or 2 and slig the mount out, put the new one in, jacked the engine back up where it was and dropped hte new bolts in. Torquedthem and off I went.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Just reread your original post. I dont know if theres more room on the drivers side to do the work. My main problem was I couldn't get the back part of the suppport past the tensioner and there was a metal pipe that got in the way. I thought it could've been a a/c line or somethin. I lowered and raised the engine lowering didin't help memuch.

Quick Reply: Removing/ replacing engine support