Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

rough idol & through lower rpm after timing belt ..Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear
Default rough idol & through lower rpm after timing belt ..Help

well she is running sort of... Timing belt & oil leaks are done, fired her up and it is running rough, stumbles in lower rpm. above 2500 RPM and it is good. I did find that my unpluged harness was from the AIT, plugged it in before starting. no CEL. let it get up to running temp for at least 15 minutes... what the hell is going on?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: rough idol & through lower rpm after timing belt ..Help

might want to double check your timing is correct.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

whats the easy way to do that

Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

I rotated the crank with a ratchet till the cam gear lined up with the timing mark & checkd the flywheel mark and it seems good. now what?

Old 05-18-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

went to advanced auto and got the new CEl read misfire #2,4 when i unplug the coil it seens to run the same, pointing to a coil. i switched the coil pack and seems to do the same thing on #2 meaning it not the pack... what is going on

Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear

yoy know that there is a notch on the lower timing belt cover that HAS to match the notch on the crank pulley right? match that one up and see where the cam gear lines up with the valve cover notch....then post back

Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

Well that was a PITA, I did find the notch on the pulley and lower engine cover, looks totally different when it is all back together,,, had to pull the lower ic hardpipe down and remove the accessory belt. but it is dead on. the crank lines up & the cam gear/valve cover. & the flywheel mark. so the belt is definatly on correct. now what??? if I unplug the 2nd coil pack from left it doesnt seem to make a difference on how it idols i switched it with the one on the farthest left still seems like the 2nd from left doesnt make a difference if its plugged in ?? I did notice that there is a electrical piece with 1 wire goes to it on the valve cover under the vacblock on the valve cover to the right, the wire seems connected but may be loose any idea what this is ??

Old 05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Your best bet is to do a compression test. After that youll have a little more insight on whats going on.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 PM
5th Gear

and/or check/replace spark plugs if you believe the coilpack is fine.

That little wire is something of an electrical noise suppressor. Should be a little black block on the end of it, bolted to the valve cover. Never bothered seeing where the other end went. Mine broke off, I never bothered fixing/replacing it, and haven't noticed any difference.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

Well, glad to hear it is a noise supressor so i can elimanate that as a problem. I put in new plugs in when i did the belt . i pulled off the coil packs one at a time and made a temp wire to ground, around the mounting holes, and to a old plug. then pluged each one in , then started the motor they all had strong spark . so now i am stumped. also i noticed the plugs were very black since they have been used only a few(30) minutes. someone on another site mentioned a cam position sensor, but i didnt pull it so i dont see how any damage would have come to it ,, i dont have a compression tester, actually i have never done a compression test on a engine my buddy has one and I am getting it tommorrow any instructions someone can give my on a how to ? do you run the engine, or crank only ,,, although since i have verified that the belt is on correctly ,,i dont know how any damage could have possibly been done to any valves orr anything ... my timing belt was fine ,i was having a slightly warm temps which was not my water pump it had been replaced with a metal impeller, i did find a faulty outlet on the drivers side coolant outlrt where the green temp sensor is. leaking though.... we can run this down step by step,,,next suggestions please

Quick Reply: rough idol & through lower rpm after timing belt ..Help