Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Should I buy a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Default Should I buy a TT?

I'm new to the forums , what up? Anyway, I've got a question. I'm thinking about a TT. Right now I drive a '97 BMW 528i, and love it. Rediculous reliability, just get up every day and drive. Only thing is, it is what it is, so it's a little underpowered and abit big. Handles great for a mid-sized sedan, but it's still a mid-sized sedan.

Question is this: Is a TT a good move?
I want something a little sportier, still german, and still luxurious. I don't want the excessive down time for repairs (and expensive ones at that). Now I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt, I want to hear what you think of this car, but I have a mixed opinion at this point. I want to like the car, and on paper, I do. But I've read some owner reports and got myself a little confused. Almost exactly half the reports I read say that they've experienced nothing but problems, expensive repairs, "looks great on a flatbed" and so on. The other half praise the car to no end, "once you go german, you never go back," tons of fun to drive, lots of power, handles like it's on rails, etc... Could someone please explain?!?

Thx in advance for your replies.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Should I buy a TT?

drive one and then you tell us if you should buy one.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:22 AM

Ok, maybe you didn't quite get what I meant. I'm not really asking what you think of the car as far as performance goes. Like I said, I like the TT on paper. What I'm asking you is basically, even though I'd really like to get a TT, am I going to regret it? Is it a total p.o.s.? Kind of need some owner input on that.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

In my opinion, if you want something "sporty" the TT doesn't cut it. If you want a fun roadster thats reliable and is sporty. Go with the S2000, nothing feels and goes like that car. But if you want to stick with German engineering, a good sporty roadster choice would be the BMWMz3, or BMW z3 2.8L roadster or the 3.0L. The TT is a great fun car to drive, but does not fit in the "sporty" category.

The TT weighs 38** pounds? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in my opinoin thats WAYY to heavy for a sporty roadster. So if your looking for a performance car I say no TT. I'm not trying to be an ******* or anything, the TT isn't really performance imho. Sure maybe the 225's pull hard, but to heavy and doesn't compare to a BMW Mz3 3.2L straight six.

Also depends on your budget... I suggest getting the S54 Mz3 Roadster(Little z3 equipt with an E46 M3 motor?!?!). 2002+ i believe maybe 2001+ models.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:57 AM
gTT
1st Gear

i switched from e36 328is, no regret.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:26 AM

Bmw Z3 2.8 - 27**
My 528i - 3500
Audi TT - 3100lbs.

I suppose the audi is a little fat for its size, but it would be an improvement in "get up and go" from my 5. I would be looking at an '01 225, 14-17k. I have thought about the Z's before, and the M Z3 would be sweet, but its a bit pricey. I could check out the 2.8's. I suppose what I should mention though is that by performance, I really just mean "spirited driving." We have lots of nice roads around here and I like to head out and push it pretty hard sometimes, but not streetracing or dragging. I like the BMWs, and believe me I am VERY loyal to the brand, but I would like a little taste of what else germany has to offer. My dad got a '95 Porsche 911 recently, and though it's a very different car than either my Bimmer or the TT, it still has a distinctly similar feel (to my car at least). Like I said, I want a bit of "spunk" for performance, but I like the comfort of a coupe (hard to find the Z3 in a coupe, rather than convertable), and I honestly like the looks a bit more, the Z is a little small and... well the TT is a bit more agressive looking to me.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

The typical problems are not things that will leave you stranded; electrical idiosyncrasies (windows, locks, instrument cluster), check engine & airbag lights, that sort of thing. The 1.8T engine is pretty solid and reliable (you've seen the timing belt / tensioner / water pump discussions, right?). Aftermarket warranties can be had to give you a warm fuzzy. As has been advised, go drive one, see how it strikes you.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplat
Is it a total p.o.s.? Kind of need some owner input on that.
Are you kidding? Everyone on this forum thinks its a p.o.s. That's why we all post here, to console ourselves for having gotten taken after we bought these things. Don't be a victim, run!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm make believe

Thanks for that alan, just drive it to miamisburg if you need help. I personally havent had any problems with mine. The forumsare littered with complaints and problems because that is what 90% of thethreads are. I have never posted a thread about complaints or praises of my car. If you can find me a forum with all threads praising their cars and have 0 problems, please link me.

But honestly, all cars after some time have problems. Its called wear and tear. Thats why you maintain it. If you can do simple things on cars you will be happy and save tons of money here. Most "problems" are just routine maintance that would be expected from all cars. DEAL WITH IT.

And for my first post, Dont post about a car that you have only read about and seen in the streets. F'ing drive it. Most people on here bought it because they got in the car and didnt want to get out. It is a quick, comfortable, stylish luxury car. So read the forum, drive the car, and make up your own mind.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplat

I could check out the 2.8's. I suppose what I should mention though is that by performance, I really just mean "spirited driving."
Well, heres the thing. the Z has ALOT of spirt compared to the TT. The TT if you think about it is just a GTI in a pretty dress. The Stock suspension on the Z cars are excelent the only problem with purchasing a Z3/Mz3 is there is a very common problem of the rear subframe cracking, and you have to get it reinforced. The TT is slightly more expensive than the Z cars in my opinoin. I'm sure you can find a S52 Mz3 for less than a 225 TT.

You said you lived around lots of good backroads, same here! I really suggest getting sport suspension package or upgradign the suspension if your going with the TT. I noticed alot of body roll and understeer compared to the Z. What you really have to do is go test drive both cars and decide on what you really want. But you can never go wrong with a 225 TT, plus you get more girls in TT's. Least in my experiences.