Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Someone hit my car --;

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Default Someone hit my car --;

So last night, someone hit the front end of my car and left the seen.

Long story short, we found the driver and car nearby.

Anyways, the entire front bumper needs to be fixed/replaced and one of the headlight housings needs to be replaced, too.

I'm just curious -- how much do you think those repairs will cost?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

The parts aren't cheap.
The bumper will prolly run you 500-600 Dollars, and the headlight around 800.
Then figure paint and installation, It'll be over 2K at the dealer for sure.

They tried to charge me 1200 for 1 new headlight installed. O_o

you might be able to keep the headlight housing and just find a new lens...

Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by joshuo
The parts aren't cheap.
The bumper will prolly run you 500-600 Dollars, and the headlight around 800.
Then figure paint and installation, It'll be over 2K at the dealer for sure.

They tried to charge me 1200 for 1 new headlight installed. O_o

you might be able to keep the headlight housing and just find a new lens...
Wow why does the headlight cost so much?

This isn't good news for the person who hit my car, because it's a felony over here to hit and run and cause damages over $1000.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jisungoppa
So last night, someone hit the front end of my car and left the seen.

Long story short, we found the driver and car nearby.

Anyways, the entire front bumper needs to be fixed/replaced and one of the headlight housings needs to be replaced, too.

I'm just curious -- how much do you think those repairs will cost?
I just hit a deer. I needed to replace 1 headlight (worked fine, no cracks or anything), the hood, grill and bumper cover. Total cost was around $4400. Headlight part alone is $1k, plus they need to be reprogrammed and aligned. If your hood is ok, I would guess the cost would be somewere around $2200.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear

Here was my $4400 in damage:

Name:  IMAGE_248_edited.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  66.5 KB

Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM

Wow, it's amazing how costly parts and labor can get.

Here's the situation, she was arrested on the spot, and she did not have her driver's license or insurance card on her. She said it was in her apartment.

Should I contact my own insurance or wait until the police can confirm she has insurance or not?

Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Just contact your Insurance provider. Give them the name, driver's license and license plate number of the car that hit you. As for the police it wouldn't matter if they can confirm if she has insurance or not. Also the police should be writing a police report since it is a felony hit n run. You should try to obtain that police report. It should be available like within 1 weeks or so after the incident ocurred. I hope you have full coverage insurance that will cover the cost of repairs.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs down

Contact your insurance NOW. You contact your insurance regardless of what occured. You pay big bucks to your insurance company, because they have lawyers and handle everything for you. If the person that hit your car does not have insurance, your insurance company well sue her, and you should not have to do anything. Actually, you should start getting repair estimates asap.

You insurance rates are not going to be affected, and you *should* not have to pay your ductable (sp?). It depends on your un-insured motorest policy. The thing that sucks is you may need to take a day or two off work to be a court witness. I was pissed, but found out my work paid me to be a witness. hah.

I would pretty much assume the person had no insurance and no valid drivers licence and thus ran.

Keep us updated.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks all for your replies!

I actually just got off the phone with my agent, and I am not going to file a claim with MY insurance yet.

I am going to call the officer tonight to see if he found out if the driver has insurance or not.

My agent said that if I file with them, my rates will not go up, but I will have to pay the $1000 deductible first. They will sue the driver to try to recover all the costs afterward.

I want to see if she has insurance or not, or even willing to settle this out of her pocket.

Regarding police report, the police filed that immediately on the spot. I have a report number, and I can purchase the report in 5 days at the police station.

She was arrested for hit-and-run (it's a felony if you cause over $1000 in damages), along with having no license or insurance on the spot.

I will definitely keep you all updated!

EDIT: When I spoke with my insurance agent, I told her I will NOT be filing with State Farm (my provider) right now until I can confirm she has no insurance.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM

that sucks man! good luck!
i hope you get everything fugured out and get ur car fixed