Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

something really bad happened.... help!------[UPDATE]----

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:12 PM
4th Gear
Default something really bad happened.... help!------[UPDATE]----

I was driving today with my step bro and suddenly we hear a *clunk* We were only going about 60 and then this happened. About 5 seconds later the check engine light came on flashing and then the car started to rattle... the rpms were very sparatic as the car shook. There was also a shaky feeling in the gas pedal. We pulled over i turned the car off and then back on. Still rattled bad no matter the rpm. I also felt like i lost power, of course though i eased my way home. Im going to check the spark plugs or something. I dont know, im just confused. So basically, CLUNK, CEL, rattle, shake. The car sounds cool now though... is like deep er something idk. I need help though. Could it be just the spark plugs? (plugs are brand new... 200 miles maybe), Coilpack? Lost piston? Head Gasket?.... The car still runs, just not well and im definitely not driving it like this cause it seems very bad... help?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Default RE: something really bad happened.... help!

first thing is take the spark plugs out and see if any are broken on the tips, if one has then chances are it will be stuck in the valves ( Ive seen this happen ) then check what you can if they are ok then go from there

Old 05-28-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm make believe

def check for codes, go to like autozone or somewhere to see if they can pull something for you. But since you said the sound has changed, and by the term "cooler" and the car has lost power, im gonna say you blew a gasket. Either a manifold to engine or the ever easily blown turbo to manifold gasket.

So go ask for codes and if you get nothing and dont mind turning some wrenches, take the manifold off (really isnt that hard) and look for a blown gasket. You can replace them, but i didnt bother. I dont run either of them on my car now with no leaks and no risk to blow them.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 PM
4th Gear

yea, i did the plugs and they were fine, i couldnt figure it out... and i just dont have the time with school finals and what not so i just had it towed... im almost certain its a bad coilpack and i just lost a cylinder... lets cross the fingers though...

Old 05-28-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm make believe

cost of taking out a blown gasket...$0.00, new gasket (i wouldnt install) $6, and shop labor, $60-80/hr. Itll take them atleast 2-3 hours being a shop/dealer. could of cost you nothing, sorry man.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

You're in Pittsford, take it to Sutherland. I've had good luck there, and it's not a dealership.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:31 AM
4th Gear

cd your in the area?? I take my car to universal imports... sutherland is full of s*** heads who cant get over themselves.... yea bad times

Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM
4th Gear

ok so it was all 4 coilpacks... due to the chip... whew! costing me 579 [parts and labor] + tax

i cant wait to get it back tomorrow

Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Isn't that kinda high? I was under the impression that the coil packs were about $50 a pop and a DYI.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

yeh... wow, you're seriously throwing some money away. coil packs are about as easy to change as a air filter [>:]

Quick Reply: something really bad happened.... help!------[UPDATE]----