AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi TT (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/)
-   -   something really bad happened.... help!------[UPDATE]---- (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/something-really-bad-happened-help-%5Bupdate%5D-64861/)

theTTkid 05-29-2007 08:01 PM

RE: something really bad happened.... help!

no time though, ive got finals.... i dont want to sound snobby (i know i will) but money isnt really a problem

moeron7 05-29-2007 08:38 PM

why would the chip blow all of the coil packs?

theTTkid 05-29-2007 09:04 PM

well, i talked to the guys at apr and the said its characteristic of their chip to make coilpacks go quicker... Also the technician at the shop i go to ask me very first if i had a chip, i said yes, and he said ok let me check your coilpacks... sure enough that was it

andrei 05-29-2007 09:05 PM

that sounds bad... the CHIP that blows coil packs...
doI still want a chip?[>:]

225tt 05-29-2007 09:20 PM

"Rich Guys"[sm=icon_beat.gif]

TTsteve 05-29-2007 10:39 PM

I know Audi sells their coilpacks for like $150 each but I got some online for about $200 and the install is easy. Plus you might want to check and see if your car had the coil packs replaced under the recall. If not they should cover the cost of the replacement.

Also my car had done like yours and it was the coil packs but Im sure the cause was the extra heat coming from the new turbo and higher boost. So you might be heat soaking your SMIC too much and the car is heating up too much. Might want to get that new SMIC that Cincy had posted awhile back.

cincyTT 05-29-2007 10:54 PM

im sorry but a chip blowing coilpacks is total bs. The same coilpacks run cars well over 400hp and dont blow the packs. The plugs probrably caused the packs to go and not the chip. You should be runninga heat range colder and gapped to .028 instead of the factory .032.

ouTTie914 05-29-2007 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: theTTkid
yea, i did the plugs and they were fine, i couldnt figure it out...
When you checked your plugs, did you just look to see if they were broken?
Do you remember what color they were?

XCLR8TT 05-30-2007 09:04 AM

The coil packs were probably on their way out, so the added demand from the chip just hastened their demise.

But you really got bent over on the CP's. ECStuning.com has them for under $130 for a set of four. The total install time is well less than 1 hour labor

techbod 05-30-2007 09:21 AM

chip does demand more of the engine and electrics this is the price of mods so when you chip it consider upgrading the other components