Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Strange indicator problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Strange indicator problem...

Hey guys and girls,

Tonight on the drive home my indicators (blinkers) started to act strange. When pressed on to turn they would function properly but after about 4 or 5 flashes to go left they simply stopped flashing even though the indicator stalk was in the 'on' position. The turning right signal was the same however it flashed for circa 7-8 flashes before locking off with the indicator stalk in the 'on' position.

Is anyone aware of why this is the case? all bulbs seem to be working? is this an ECU fault? dodgey switch etc...

all help appreciated,

i thought it could be the hazard relay switch as per some previous posts, but i am unsure if this simply means the blinkers dont work at all?

Last edited by drsmith; 10-11-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

You're British aren't you?

Anyway it's either your relay or your turn signal stalk...both are common issues. I'll let people who've had the issue help you determine which it is. The relay is $50 and a simple install, the stalk I think is like $150 (if I remember) and a little trickier.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

lol yes i am ....

How can i check to see if its the hazard relay switch or the indicator stalk?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 PM
5th Gear

Its because you said 'dodgey'. heheh

Hazard switch/relay going bad is more common. Its a little bit of a gamble, but I'd consider just replacing it. If it fixes the problem, great, if I didn't, well, at least you have a new relay that should eliminate the possibility of it screwing up for quite some time.

What happens if you use the hazards?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

If i use the hazards the indicators flash as per normal, but i will check that. If i constantly push up or down on the indicator stork to give it a manual single flash without 'clicking' it works ok, it does seem to fit the description of the hazard switch so i've got a friend post me out some radio removal tools and i have a 'walkthrough' bookmarked so will get it done.

Is the relay a dealer only part? or can you get generic pattern parts for cheaper?

lol at the dodgey reference ...... Don't you guys use that?... from my experience you guys say 'funky' instead, but that to me conjures up images of 'shaft' strutting his funky stuff to some disco beats! haha

Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

I'd bet $10 is the relay...the relay and stick are each $50, so try the relay first. Its more likely to crap out than the mechanical stick, and a hell of a lot easier to change (remove radio, pull down cover, unlock latch bar, swap relay). My relay literally took 3 minutes, the stalk took 45 minutes. You also will need a triple-square (12pt) bit to remove the steering wheel, and I couldn't find any in the US. I ended up buying a set from the UK for $30. Try the relay FIRST, because nothing is more frustrating that waiting on a part for a week and spending almost an hour for no fix...All you need for the relay is a set of radio removal keys, which are at most Best Buys, Radioshacks, etc.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by drsmith
lol at the dodgey reference ...... Don't you guys use that?... from my experience you guys say 'funky' instead, but that to me conjures up images of 'shaft' strutting his funky stuff to some disco beats! haha
I didn't notice the "dodgey" I noticed the use of "indicator" instead of "turn signal"

Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

ok i'll try the relay first, sounds like it could be the culprit..... wheres the cheapest and quickest place to get one?

Old 10-12-2008, 03:08 AM
2nd Gear

I'd juts go to the dealer...it's not much/any cheaper online (at least in the US).

Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 AM
4th Gear

Same exact thing happened with my TT.
I never got around to replacing the hazard relay though.
Then one day my blinkers decided to work properly.

Me thinks it's a wire in the stalk itself that's the problem for this case.
Give it some time and see if it starts working again.

Quick Reply: Strange indicator problem...