Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Strange noise while driving after rotating tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Default Strange noise while driving after rotating tires

I have a 2002 TT Quattro and whenever I drive (anywhere from 5 - 30 MPH) with the windows down, I can hear this strange noise that is coming from the wheels (not the tires but wheels). I recall about a year ago when I had rotated my tires this happened, then I switched them back and it stopped.

A few months ago I had new tires installed and have only driven the car a few times since. (i usually drive it on weekends when the weather is nice). I guess the problem started when I had the tires installed, I just never noticed since it was always cold so I had the windows up.

Does anybody have any idea why this happens? Do certain wheels just need to be on a certain side/end of the car? (i would think if this were the case they would be clearly labeled)

I guess I could try just rotating the wheels around the car until I get lucky and put the correct wheel on the right location.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 PM

if its kind of a grinding sound.. its your break rotors . take it to any tire.break place and they will do it for u.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
3rd Gear

There really shouldn't be any "luck" involved. It sounds to me like you rotated the tires in a direction they weren't meant to go. My girl took her Lexus to the Toyota dealership, and the rotated her tires front to back (which they shouldn't have) it made a bunch of noise till we put them back where they should have been. It's probably not your brakes. I would however, check out the reviews on the tires you bought. Some tires are just louder than others.

Last edited by warranty225cpe; 03-21-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the tires. I bought the same ones that I had before Falken Ziex ZE-912 and I recall hearing this exact same noise when I had the old ones (until I rotated the tires back).

Which way do you rotate your tires? I believe the manual says they need to be rotated front-back and back-front.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear

It depends on our tires. You have to go by the specs from whoever made them. If your tire has a specific "inside" and "outside" (labeled on the sidewalls) you can't swap from left to right.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 PM
2nd Gear

Usually there is a direction arrow, but I would assume a shop would make note of the arrow.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:21 PM

I just looked and each tire has "Outside" on the outside of the tire. I can't find any definitive information on the manufacturer's website (Falken) as to whether they are directional or not. It looks as though as long as the "Outside" is on the outside, that's all that matters.

The noise sounds more like metal clanging than it does a noise coming from the tires.

Last edited by JeffM; 03-22-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

Make sure your lug nuts are tight too. If they are loose it'll make a clunck sound sometimes. Like when turning on hitting a bump.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM

pop open your wheel cap... see if theres a rock in there.. or something got in there?

but im still saying its your break rotors AND/ OR pads

good way to check . jack your car in the air. ( u got one in the trunk * be careful with it tho!!! *) and spin the wheels by hand. you'll need to have the car in neutral , put blocks on the back side of the rear tires so the car doesnt roll on yeah.

Last edited by lennyauditt; 03-22-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM

I just rotated my tires front-back, back-front and the noise still occurs. It definitely sounds like the brakes/rotors and it occurs non stop while driving straight (especially noticable when driving down narrow streets with cars parked on both sides). It sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side wheel and it's like a tap, tap, tap, tap (as the wheel goes around).

A few months ago I just had the brake pads and rotors replaced by an independent reputable Audi shop (not the dealer). The front pads that I bought were "Hawk Performance HPS" and the rear are "EBC Redstuff Ceramic 3000".

Is is possible the brake pads are too close to the rotors while driving and not pressing the brake? If so, is this something the shop can fix quickly? (is it going to cost much?) I just got laid off so I didn't want to go to the shop in case they end up telling me it's going to be $100+. The rotors are crossed drilled (and have completely rusted arrrr), so that may also be causing the issue if the brake pad is rubbing against it, but it's weird it isn't all the time, it's just when the wheel is at a certain spot.

I took a pic of the rear passenger side brake, which looked a bit close as well. What do you think?

lenny,

That sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately I just saw your post after I rotated the tires.

Attached Thumbnails Strange noise while driving after rotating tires-dsc05265.jpg  

Last edited by JeffM; 03-25-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Strange noise while driving after rotating tires