Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

tCarbon FMIC Install complete ***Tons of Pictures*** Good info

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: FMIC question **Update** FMIC Got here today PICTURES***

First off, I'd give yourself a good day (6-8 hours with breaks) to work on installing the FMIC, angel eyes and repainting the headlights. You need a jack and 2 jackstands and will need to remove both front wheels. Remove the bumper (I'm sure you have a writeup already), and pop both headlights out. From there, either work on installing the FMIC (removing bumper bar, removing aliens as tCarbon's FMIC requires this, removing both SMICs) or the headlights (oven method of removal of the glass, changing corner covers, bondo the holes, sanding, priming, base coat spray, clear coat if necessary-- then put it all back together). Installation of the angel eyes is a bit tricky if this is your first time, and obviously you should do it once the headlights housings are painted and are ready to go back in). This is definitely a weekend job and might take you 2 days. If I had my car out there for that long, I'd even contemplate front cold air feeds behind the driver's side headlight.. maybe even DV relo (since the front end is off), or FMIC misters. Just know that taking the front end is not hard but a pain in the ***.. but altogether a very rewarding DIY.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

Good info.

ORIGINAL: theTTkid
random but... sweet tv and tat..

oh yea.. FMIC is nasty too
Haha... yea... thats my TV and my computer monitor. Its a 1080p full HD 46" LCD flat panel. it cost an arm and a leg but for what I use it for (anything and everything that requires a display) its well worth it.

notice this forum is actually on the screen in the picture lol

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear

i saw that....i do that sometimes too i have a 51 in Hitachi 1080 and hook the laptop to it.....works great for that tv-links.co.uk site love it

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear

watching transformers as we speak lol

Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 AM
2nd Gear

i was so busy playing with this friggin glorified radiator... that i failed to realize... theres NO DAMNN INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS@$%@#$

How the heck am i supposed to know what all these damn parts and hardware thingies are even here for? I mean... I can figure out what the hoses, clamps, and intercooler are for... but wth is the rest of this crap?

**EDIT**

Okay... I probably overreacted just a little. lol
It's just an intercooler and I'm sure once I have the bumper off... it'll be fairly obvious where the mounting hardware pieces go. I emailed tCarbon to see if they could email me some instructions. I seem to remember there being install directions on the tCarbon site before. I don't see them now. hmm

3¼"x9"x27" are the dimensions btw

Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

Uh oh. Things sounded positive until the last post.

Can you do me a favor and measure the FMIC core? L, W, and H. I think I have the same one ( a buddy gave it to me) and just want to make sure. I m going to try to order the bracket and tubing and parts (and hopefully directions) from t-carbon, without the core. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: MeanAudiA6

YES! I watched an episode yesterday as well.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: moeron7

ORIGINAL: MeanAudiA6

YES! I watched an episode yesterday as well.
I believe the NEW Transformers movie has been uploaded to that site.

Cincy - the link you posted in chosos thread with the entire FMIC kit for ~ $300.. is that a good way to go if you dont plan on upgrading the turbo. Just want less heat soak than the stock SMIC on the 180? That kit doesn't look like it would fit the TT.. more specifically clear the strut tower bar. Thoughts? Am I an idiot and just not seeing it right?

EDIT:

Link to kit HERE

Picture of engine bay with kit installed.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear

heres a foki page to help http://martt.fotki.com/audi_tt/mods/fmic/

this is my buddy marty from INDY

Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: diehlryan
Cincy - the link you posted in chosos thread with the entire FMIC kit for ~ $300.. is that a good way to go if you dont plan on upgrading the turbo. Just want less heat soak than the stock SMIC on the 180? That kit doesn't look like it would fit the TT.. more specifically clear the strut tower bar. Thoughts? Am I an idiot and just not seeing it right?

The review that the installer claimed was about 2psi drop (with the larger core) and felt tons of torque gain and no heatsoak. So if you plan on keeping the stock turbo or maybe just a tad bigger, the smaller core should fit way better and still handle the heat. As for the strut bar, you may need to either turn the turbo outlet pipe more or even trim about .5-1" off the end. vwauditek on vortex made the atp fmic kit fit his 180 buy just turning it more. Its a nice how to with plenty of pics if you want to take a look at it.Its in the TT section under his old name vwauditech.

btw, the ebay one needs a map sensor flange, this one from tuner-stop has the map flange

Quick Reply: tCarbon FMIC Install complete ***Tons of Pictures*** Good info