Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Tech support! pls

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Tech support! pls

hello im new here and i have a problem..
2 days ago as i was driving my TT quattro 2002' suddenly i could not shift gears and i left it to N
and got out of the road to see what is the problem..
the gears could be shifted when the engine was switched off but could not be shifted when engine was on.
i dont know much technical stuff but the mechanic said i needed a new disc for the clutch costing $600 cyprus pounds - $1100 dollarsbecause it was broken down
even if im not the best driver..i dont think i wasnt working so well with the car..is it so simple for the disc to brake down??

EDIT: The car has MANUAL transmission .i just couldnt say how to explain that i didnt have gear inside anymore an called it N

Old 05-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Default RE: Tech support! pls

you left it in N and the mechanic thinks it needs a new clutch plate/disc??? I suggest you get another mechanic because its an automatic and they dont have clutch plates, check the tranny hasn't got a leak automatics/tiptronic are not my area but I think there is a lockup solenoid on there and im sure some one will be able to help you out there and best of luck

Old 05-14-2007, 06:09 AM
1st Gear

my english is not the best and u may not have understood fully what i wanted to say..i said i left it in N cuz i dont know how to say that i manually left the gear to N (meaning that i had no gear in anymore) ..i dont know if u understand what im saying..

Old 05-14-2007, 06:16 AM

ahh right you mean neutral so its a manual transmission,

did this happen all of a sudden? then suspect the clutch slave cylinder,

if it was slipping the clutch for a while I would replace the complete clutch which is 3 parts thrust bearing/pressure plate/clutch plate( just doing the plate is false economy

Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

yeah all of a sudden in the middle of the road i couldnt shift a gear..i pulled over..when the car engine is off i could shift...but when i pressed the clutch pedal the sense was weird..i tried to start the engine with the 1st gear by pressing the clutch it went off again like i wasnt pressing the clutch..the engineer said i should change the disc .. but why is it a false economy?

EDIT: the engineer said 1100 dollars..if found the whole clutch kit in the net for some.thing like 300 dollars..isnt it too expensive 1100 dollars?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 AM

the clutch wears equally so say you replace the plate only and pay all that money and take the gearbox out then you do another few hundred miles and the pressure plate weakens you have to pay again when you could have replaced it the first time, then you replace that and more miles and the thrust bearing goes are you getting my drift also remember the warranty on the clutch will or should cover the complete clutch and not a single item so worth keeping that in mind,

having said that you say it stopped all of a sudden so I would be looking at the slave cylinder first because its hidrolik so if it lost all its fluid because of a damaged unit that's exactly what happens

Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

thanks a bunch for the help

Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
4th Gear

how many miles are on your car??? all clutches will break eventuaaly... maybe not suddenly but theyll go

Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

20 000.i bought it on 10 000 and since then i ht the pedal up to the edge all the time...
maybe its time to relax a bit ..

Old 05-14-2007, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear

yea, about that.. the clutch shouldn't break at 20.000. think more like 70.000.

Quick Reply: Tech support! pls