Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Thinking about buying an 08 TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Thinking about buying an 08 TT

I really wanted to get the A5, but it will take at least 12+ wks to get it. I am stationed in germany and it would be a US SPEC car by the way. I would rather get an Audi now, so I could drive it around a bit, then avoid some of the new car tax when we ship it back. So, I do want an Audi, you just can't beat their styling. The wife and I test drove a 3.2L Audi TT coupe. I was pretty impressed with it. They look great and have a great interior. I wanted to get some feedback from some MK2 owners.

I would like to up the power a bit. Are there a lot of mods for the 3.2? I was thinking ECU flash, and a exhaust system upgrade. I don't want to void the warranty if possible. Overall its a cool car. I woudn't mind driving a TT around at all. Any feedback would be great. I will miss my old 1989 Audi coupe quattro I have been driving around for the past 3 years.. but its time to retire her. I think she has about 210,000 miles on it.. but still running pretty good.

Any help/info would be great !!!!! Thanks in advance!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Thinking about buying an 08 TT

I would get the new 2.0T quattro that will be coming out soon. Its turbo so the upgrades are numerous compared to the 3.2 (basically none). For mods the turbo is best but right now any TBE for the new TTs run $2000 plus. Not much competition right now on the new TTs but give it a year and they will be plenty. I have the 08 TT FWD w/GIAC 93 octane chip ($600)and I would guess that Im running around 220 whp and 270 TQ if not more. 0 60 should be around 5.7, with a quattro even better. Im getting just a axel back (muffler and tips $600) which they say adds another 5 - 10 whp and TQ. The car is really fast and with the DSG you can run with alot of more powerful cars.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Well that is true the 2.0 ones have more mods, but I really want the quattro, and a 6 sp manual. I didn't like the S-tronic in the TT we test drove. I think the 2.0s only come in automatic, and that isn't an option for me. After learning how to drive stick here in germany, I don't see myself going back, its wayyy too much fun.

I would be happy with a new exhaust for the 3.2 that had quads. I think that would be great! We also test drove a 335xi, and it was plenty fast... but the interior in the newer BMWs is kind of plain. Right after, we rented an Audi A5, and my mind was made up on an Audi. The interior is very A5 like in the TT, which I like. I would prob remove the rear seats since they really can't be used anyway. It will depend if they have one in stock here, bec if I am going to have to wait 12 wks for the TT I want, I will prob just go for the A5 or S5. True, that the Z4 BMW or nissan 350Z have more power, but styling, and good interior go to Audi. When we get back to the states, we won't be able to avg 110 mph on the hwy anyway heh. thanks for the input though.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

I saw an 08 run and what it lacks in style it definately makes up in performance and I love that 3.2 sound! but if you will want to up the power in the future you should probably look into the turbo model. There really isn't much power to be gained in the 3.2 unless you go with a supercharger. Turbos are much more mod-friendly

Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 PM
2nd Gear

Im pretty sure they are coming out with a quattro 2.0T plus the TTS (super fast) is going to be awesome but probably $50,000. With the DSG you can still shift the car yourself which actually helps in times when you get to know your engine but you just dont use a clutch. Still not the same but performance wise its very effiecient. In the end its what you like though so get it right so you wont regret.

Also a chipped 2.0T will give the Z4 and 350Z a run for its money, I mean really close. TTS will kill them. If you go S5 I think it will run $50,000 too like the TTS. And $2000 for a quad exhaust that only gives maybe 10 hp in gains is pretty expensive but if you got the money then go for it.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

If i get quad exhaust for the 3.2 in the TT, it would come close to what the A5 has in terms of performance.

I do agree that the TT-S would be super fast,but for that kind of money I would just get the S5. I think the new TT looks a lot better than the old one. I guess thats why I didn't notice the new ones when looking at Audis since I thought they still looked the same. It was always more about the stying than performance.. I figure with either the A5 and TT, I could have a little of both. The S5 is great but I don't know if its very practical due to the high gas prices creeping up on everyone

I do agree that the DSG works well, no lurching or anything when changing gears.. but its just not the same without the ol clutch pedal.

I don't want any serious mods.. I figure if I can get my Hp around 265-300hp, with some more torque, that would be fine. It is possible with new exhaust and an upgraded ECU chip for the 3.2? The AWD is important since we will prob be living in a snowy area. I have time to think about it. If If I can't get one now, I will have to wait til we are back in the states anyway. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

You'll should be able to make 265. The chip will add around 10 hp.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

TTS will be way more fun to drive thean the S5

Old 05-24-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

I hear that a lot about the S5. Most reviews say that they kind of disappointing
i REALLLY hope the audi 3.0 TDI comes to the states.. thats the one I drove here in germany. That thing was AWESOME, i could go 65 mph in 3rd gear... and that turbo had no lag! Alas, so far only a few diesel engines are comming over. I would get a diesel TT too.

I have time to think about it. Where would I go to get the chip upgrade for the 3.2? Any good exhaust systems? I was looking into the milltek one with quads, but im sure there are others.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear

Exhausts for the new TTs are running $2500+ for parts and install, not worth it for the 10 15 extra HP. But given it some time and others will come out with cheaper exhausts with the same results. A chip for the 3.2 wont give you but 10 HP too and again not worth it really. Again for $50000 I would get TTS over S5 and it will be more fun and I think about the same in speed. Plus with the TTS you will get better MPG.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an 08 TT