Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Timing Belt issue, or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt issue, or not?

Hey Guru's,
I'll probably get flamed because I don't know where to post and I am a bit new to actually working on my Audi. But here goes.

I have a ticking noise coming from the timing belt side of the engine. Now, after some tedious research most people say it is the hydraulic tensioner failing. There is in fact quite a bit of play in the timing belt but when I apply pressure to the tensioner roller there is absolutely no play. I could just be a pansy and incapable of applying enough muscular pounds per square inch, but I wanted to see if you gentleman had any input on the matter. Thanks in advance!

BTW, I already took the liberty of ordering the ECS Tuning "Ultimate" Timing belt kit.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MichaelBaker
Hey Guru's,
I'll probably get flamed because I don't know where to post and I am a bit new to actually working on my Audi. But here goes.

I have a ticking noise coming from the timing belt side of the engine. Now, after some tedious research most people say it is the hydraulic tensioner failing. There is in fact quite a bit of play in the timing belt but when I apply pressure to the tensioner roller there is absolutely no play. I could just be a pansy and incapable of applying enough muscular pounds per square inch, but I wanted to see if you gentleman had any input on the matter. Thanks in advance!

BTW, I already took the liberty of ordering the ECS Tuning "Ultimate" Timing belt kit.
When was the belt/pump done?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

I think the gentleman I purchased it from said @110,000mi. But I actually went ahead and replaced everything last weekend, seems to have fixed my issue. I guess when the guy said "I replaced the timing belt." thats exactly what he meant... JUST THE TIMING BELT... haha, all the other parts were original.