Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Tranny fluid and front and rear diff oils.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Tranny fluid and front and rear diff oils.

Hi., I just recently bought a red 00 180q. Unlike majority of owners, I landed on a good condition TT with no issues as of now(knocking on the wood). I want to do a maintainence first on fluids. I want to start with tranny fluid and front and rear diffgear oils. However, Arnt these oils lifetime? Should I change them or should I just leave them? Because I dont think it is very cheap.

also, as far as I know from a reaserch, tranny oil and diff oils are exactly same grade and same kind right? or are they different kinds and different grades? Thanks.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Tranny fluid and front and rear diff oils.

redline mtl-90 tranny fluid..buy 3 qts....rear diff is an audi brand only need one bottle....i suggest using a grease gun of sorts to push the fluid into both of these

Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
5th Gear

tranny/front diff is 90 weight, (redline MT-90 is good stuff), the rear diff is 75W90, again, Redline products work great here too.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

ok, thanks for the info. when you say weight, from "75w90" is 75 the weight? then what is it for the front 90wXX something?

also, do differential oils on the front and rear need to be changed? Arnt they lifetime?

Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear

yeah they say lifetime and they never have to be changed....so you can pay for nice big repairs all fluid gets old over time and can get dirty

Old 11-22-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

I just changed my transmission fluid in my 04 TT 225 and it was pretty dirty. Also don't forget the bevel box when you change transmission fluid.
There is another cup of old oil in there and has a magnetic drain plug that had tons of little metal shavings on it. I cleaned it and replaced the plug
and filled the transmission with 3 quarts of MT-90. Shifts very smooth now and I am glad I changed it. Next is the Haldex fluid. I bet that has never
been changed and it is suppose to be changed every 20000 miles.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

what is this "bevel box" and what purpose does it serve?

What i want to know is not what product(mt-90 or like that) BUT the Acutall grade of the gear oil that needs and how much litres it take.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 PM

when you change the haldex oil. you also have to change the filter. it is a 20k service.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
5th Gear

MT-90 = manual transmission 90 weight. Its straight 90 weight.
75W90 is the same as you would see for engine oils (say, 5W30), when its cold it acts like one weight, when its hot, it acts like the other.

The rear differential is isolated from everything else, it has its own oil (the 75W90), the transmission is linked to the front differential, they share oil, thats where you use the 90 weight. The bevel box is part of the trans/diff as well, simply another place oil pools, and therefore has its own drain. No more complicated than that.

The aforementioned Haldex is the system for the all wheel drive. Its sandwiched against the rear differential, but doesn't share fluids. The oil and filter should be changed every 20K miles, it takes special fluid, which you can buy from the service department at the dealership, or from www.ecstuning.com Just ask for Haldex fluid, it comes in what looks like a caulk tube.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

Actually, Redline MT 90 isn't a straight 90 weight oil. It is more like a 75W90 GL4 gear oil. This is directly from the Red Line site:

MT-90

Popular in Nissan, Toyota and Mazda manual transmissions and transaxles as well as other selected applications, this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil that’s slightly heavier than MTL. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

Regular MTL is a 70W80 weight oil. So the MT90 is better for our transmissions.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid and front and rear diff oils.