Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT cheap exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
1st Gear
Default TT cheap exhaust

Don't know if anybody has noticed on AWE Tunings exhaust webpage. You can order just the Borla muffler for the TT for $450. Someone was selling a used Borla for $500. Ordering the front and rear halves is $799. As far as the front section most muffler shops can run you a new length for almost nothing. I have a muffler guy who does hi-flow cats for $80 plus instalation. One of my last cars I gained 12hp from just the cat. We also replaced the middle resonator with a glass pack.

LINK AWE Borla rear muffler.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TT cheap exhaust

does anyone have an audio clip of the Borla system?

Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: mitchs_TT

does anyone have an audio clip of the Borla system?
Try here

Old 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM
4th Gear

From what I've been able to learn is the Milltek catback dual system is the closest to OEM sound but changes and gets deeper as it's broken in. The Borla is similar - a deep throaty sound but slightly louder (but relatively cheaper - $300 less) than the Milltek. Though I am rather curious what a Borla with a glasspack would sound like - don't know if I'd like it... still curious...

Cost wise - the Borla is a good exhaust and alot of Audis on this forum run with them in - so that's my choice after the holidays [8D]

Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM

Hey guys,
--I went and spoke to my local exhaust/muffler mechanic today and asked to do an exhaust upgrade (preferably dual tipped, hi-flow). He tried setting me up with a Magnaflow muffler and single 3" exhaust tip. Naturally, I was a little pissed at the proposal because it wasn't what I requested but I listened to his reasons why anyway. He gave me some information about Cat-converters and said that there's "no such thing" as a "hi-flow cat and all cats alloted the same airflow" PLUS! changing out factory cats was a federal offense. I guess from his description of the underside of my car, I have dual cats that "Y" back into a single exhaust system toward the muffler and getting duals outta this would be "costly" and "wasteful". I had kinda a bummer day at the muffler shop...but at least I avoided that coffee-can, piece of sh*t, rice-burner muffler he was trying to cram down my throat!

**Are there any cheaper ways to get performance and duals without going Borla?**

Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

If you are looking for an alternative try and find a performance shop in your area. I have a local shop out here with some really knowledgeble guys that work at it. They have suggested that I let them build a custom exhaust, I haven't gotten into the details yet, but it sounds like they would be using a Borla muffler with full custom piping from the turbo back. They said that they could most likely do the whole thing, keeping dual tips, for around $450. They were able to show me some pictures of another TT that had exhaust done there and they did quite a good job, with a decent (more throaty) sound. Given the price might be a bit lower as I am friends with these guys, but it seems even without a "friend" discount you could still walk away with a good exhaust under what a Borla catback costs.

Just my 2cents.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

I've been having a harrd time deciding which exhuast to go with.
I've been thinking about Borla but I was a little worried it wasn't going to be lound enough then i was thinking about doing a custom stup with glass packs dual outthe rear but this might get my pulled over for being too loud.

Someone makes this valve that sits right after your down pipe and what it does is leaves your exhuast stock and when the car starts to boost it opens the valve and pretty much makes it a turbo down straight pipe but only under boost when your driving normal or on the highway it's nice and quite.

for performance and spool speed turbo down straight pipe i would think has got to be the best for wide open performance.
But for the life of me i can't find who made that exhuast valve system.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

ya i forget the website where that valve is sold anyone have it?

Old 12-19-2006, 12:32 AM
5th Gear

http://www.headerdumps.com/

Kinda like that?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 AM
3rd Gear

ya but i found it on a diff site and lost it when my laptop crashed
it was made to fit on our cars

Quick Reply: TT cheap exhaust