Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT Door Trim Bubbling (updated with pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear
Default TT Door Trim Bubbling (updated with pic)

Original post:
When I was shopping TT's afew months ago, I noticed a lot of them had an issue with the trim on the door bubbling along the window edge (see sample picture I found online). Long story short, I eventually chose a TT that had a very minor "bubbling" issue. Now that the weather is warming up, I'm thinking about fixing this little issue. Has anyone had any success with fixing this? I was thinking I could just peel the lining away, put down some adhesive, and pull the lining back. I don't want to touch it until I get feedback from someone who has successfully tackled this little annoying issue.

Here a couple actual pictures of what I'm talking about...

[IMG]local://upfiles/50433/03FE633C696D44FD986EECD8E682735C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/50433/E723400C7FBC4ED89D414366C87A194D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: TT Door Trim Bubbling (updated with pic)

mine is like that too, hopefully some know what will help

Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

I can't believe there haven't been many more posts about this.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

I would guess you could pull it up and glue it back down as long as you dont over due it on the glue

Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 PM
2nd Gear

yikes, can you say water damage? I know the TT windows are prone to leaking and I would assume this is the aftermath.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

wow that looks like poopie.

i've never seen that problem before. mine is an 01 with no probs whatsoever. and i dont even have a garage to protect it.

wonder how that happens? does anyone else here have that prob??

Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

I'm assuming water damage too, I really think a strong adhesive should do the trick. I've seen many other TT's with similar damage (damage wise...mine is about right in the middle)

Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Site Moderator

That happens a lot on the door panels, it really doesn't have anything to do with water damage. It has more to do with severe heat melting the glue, audi usually has us replace the door panel, but you could use super glue to fix it.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

Well.....I got it done. It's not the best but you have to look close to see the problems. I removed the door panel and used a flat wooden stick (like a tongue depressor) to apply the epoxy onto the back of the vinyl as I lifted it up. I applied just a thin layer of epoxy and just used my thumbs to press it down into place. Kind of massaged it into position. Then I used painters tape to hold it in place for about a half hour. Pulled up the tape and, well, lets just say it's definitely amature work but it's better than it was.

I took pictures but my camera uses a POS XD card. So I don't have any to post.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

I also fixed mine. Here's how I did it...

I took the panels off, and applied a super glue to the vinyl. I then used about 40 "binder clips" to hold the vinyl to the plastic. I let it sit over night and then WALLA...looks perfect.

The bad part of all this is...I noticed a little bubble on the head liner alongside the driver's side windshield upright bar thing (what a good description). It is hardly noticeable, but I'm afraid of it getting worse? I only noticed it because I looked for it after I put the door panels on after repairing those.I wonder ifit has been there for awhile and it's just something that will always be there without getting any worse? I can't imagine how difficult it is to pull the headliner up a couple inches.... any thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: TT Door Trim Bubbling (updated with pic)