Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT limp mode ? please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
1st Gear
Default TT limp mode ? please help

i just bought a 2000 audi tt fwd 1.8 180 hp audi tt its got 165xxx miles and some issues and i need some help on figuring out whats causing them. im tight on cash and just wana get this car running again according to the previous owner the time belt was done 1000 miles ago along with oil and spark plugs pretty much the whole 9 now this i cant be too sure of but long story short i believe it to be in imp mode it gives 3 codes cam shaft position sensor in bank a sensor 1 oxygen sensor 1 no activity and something about manufacture manage control something or other its all saved to my phone which is currently dead so ill post codes and deff. now when i start the car it takes a wile to turn over and when it does it idles very slow ( also have a miss fire in cylinder 1 according to obi II) now it will idle and vary between 900 rom and 1000 rpm and bounce rapidly between them i have no power steering and my brake peddle is stiff as h*ll. the previous owner said it has a leak in the power steering fluid line going to the rack or something like that and the breaks are out of fluid and that he changed the parts in the engine but the codes would not stop coming bak and that it needs a new ecu not new parts now im not sure if this is common or if he was lieing and i want to know what needs to be done before i **** away any money any help would be great thank guys ahead of time.
list of things that dont work follows:
low beams
most interior lights
power steering
alarm doest always arm on lock
breaks are extremely stiff
heated seats dont seem to go on
cluster is very late in response and lcd screen pixalated
key fob wont lock and unlock or pop trunk but when i hold it in the door in the unlock direction my windows go down I'm not sure why

Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

codes are as follow p0341 camshaft position sensor A bank 1 ckt rang/perf, p0124 o2 sensor ckt no activity bank 1 sensor 1 , p1113 manufacturer control air metering

these are the 3 codes coming up along with a miss fire in piston 1 any healp please does this seem like an ecu issue or does it need more?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

so ive pulled out my ecu the board seems fine no visible damage or burnt electronic smell still not sure if i should swap the ecu or see if i should swap sensors or cables to sensors or what to do still looking for some help

Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 AM
1st Gear

the bank 1 position 1 o2 sensor info is critical to fuel metering and ignition timing.that's where i would start. the info the camshaft position sensor sends to the ecu is also critically important.
Good luck!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

thanks im going to try and replace them and see what happends over the weekend i replaced the cabin air filter sea foamed it and tried putting in wishshield washer fluid saldy the washer fluid just pored threw the bottom of the door ???? broken tank ? it came out just as fast i pored it in i couldent find a replacement tank online maby a junk yard? also after sea foaming it i lost alot of power and its starting to leak oil somewhere and has a hard time shifting into reverse it will be all the way in reverse but still in first gear then when it does go into first i hear a loud click when it finaly makes it into reverse ? what could that mean im going to obd it and see if any new codes come up and go from there any more help would be awsome

Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

also are there any common bcm issues ? all of my fuses cheack out fine but when i open the doors the windows go down a half of an inch and some times i have to open and close the door a few times for it to go back up also the key fab intermittently dosent work and when it does i need to be close to the door for it to work the battery dosent seem dead though also the interrior lights dont come on with door opening and i cheacked to make shure th switch was on for it to come on with the doors and my head lights are acting funny i dont have low beams unless i turn my high beams in and my high beams are hids i beleave the car came with high beems and when i pulled the lights out they seemed to be possibly hard wired together wrong ? it looks like factory other then the low beam wire plug is a but split at the connector im lost and wana fix as much as i can on my own i think i have a leak in the rack and pinion i have no power sterring fluid in the tank but i still dont hear the pump go on when i try and steer is it because its not under load? should i try and fill it and see what happends? and i also dont have break bost .. could this be from the car being in limp mode ? or is there an issue i have plenty of fluid its dot 3 i dident put it in the previous owner did i dont think dot 3 is the stock fluid could that cause the issue ? if so how do i flush the breaks lines ?

Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

in the past couple months ive replaced the cat and whole exhaust, power rack, ecu, some small cosmetic things and so far the car is running great i just have a couple issues left i still have no communication between the cam sensor and ecu and o2 sensor 1 and ecu i haven't swapped them yet as there expensive non returnable parts but i tested the cam sensor im getting 13.8 off of one wire 5 off another and only 10 off the other...can this 10 volts be an issue ? its the power wire i believe and its im not sure what to do next. as for the o2 sensor i haven't tested it yet.
also my brakes are very stiff and when i press them on idle the engine begins to die a little what can be causing this ? the car has been siting for a wile and the brakes and calipers are all rusted but i would like to push off replacing the whole brake system for a bit if i can get it running correctly and pass emissions first