Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT seems really loud

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM
1st Gear
Default TT seems really loud

Hey everyone..I've got an '02 TT 225 with 59K miles and lately it seems like it is really loud driving down the road. At first, I thought it was the tires, because I had snow tires that needed to be replaced. Then I replaced the tires with good all season tires, but the car is still really loud. For some reason, I don't remember it being like this when I got the car about a year and half ago. I have to have the radio turned up a bit to drown out the sound. Could the brakes make the car loud if I need new brakes and rotors? Does anyone else notice if their car seems a little louder than most cars or is there possibly some other reason that the car could be loud? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: TT seems really loud

What is the loud noise you are hearing? Road noise, engine noise, exhuast noise?

Have you checked to see if the skid pan is missing under the front of the car?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Help us out a bit. Is it loud all the time? Just during braking? Louder during accleration? Deceleration? Specific speed? Any mods? New mods? Anything changed other than the new tires?

Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the quick responses. It's road noise. It gets louder as I get going faster and softer as I slow down and its like a constant road noise. It basically sounds like i have on nobby tires or winter tires. Its not extremely loud, just an annoying loud. Its not noticeable until you hit about 10 mph. I'm pretty sure I'm not missing anything under the car.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

also, its a constant sound and the only mods I have are a chip, diverter valve, and intake, nothing that should cause this sound.And an alignment was just done, but the sound ocurred before the alignment.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:57 PM
4th Gear

From what I've read it sounds like tires (could be wrong) have you changed them recently?When I got mine I had 3 different types of tires and road noise pretty loud. Went with a "softer" rubber tire and the noise went down noticably - got dynamat installed (added about 100 lbs to the vehicle) and the noise dramatically disappeared - now I hear wind noise over all.

Softer rubber is a little more expensive and will wear out faster but the ride was less noisey with them. Had to try the difference [8D]

Going with hard rubber next time and see how the dynamat handles the noise.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm make believe

when you bought new tires, were they balanced? mine are really out of balanced and make the same noises you discribed. also some tires are just louder than others but it seems yours are ridiculously loud or your just overly picky, i assume the first one.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 PM
5th Gear

wheel bearings?

That could sound a little like loud tires would.

Jack up each tire and see if there is any play by wobbling the wheel around. Maybe use jack stands, I'd hate to hear you pulled the car off a jack, and only your hand or something....

Old 01-10-2007, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

now that you mention it...it sounds exactly like my old car when it needed bearings...Thanks!!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 AM
3rd Gear

Yes the wheel bearings, I just took my TT into the shop with 42k on it and they said that the wheel bearings are starting to go out, so def. look into that!

Quick Reply: TT seems really loud