Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT stalls at idle. Fuel pump, filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 PM
1st Gear
Default TT stalls at idle. Fuel pump, filter?

Hey Guys,

I have a 2000 TT with 65K miles. The car starts and runs for a few miles then it stalls when it is at idle. Battery is new and starter and alternator are fine. The guys at Firestone advised me that they wanted to start with the speed sensor, but the computer is not putting out any codes. I talked to the dealer who advised that it is probably either the fuel pump or fuel filter. Has anyone had a similar problem? I am planning on replacing the filter first before I buy the pump which costs $500 at the dealer. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Mike

Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Either yourself or a shop should test the fuel pressure first. You can rent the pressure tester from autopart stores if you're going to do it. Does it sputter and shut off or just simply cut out? A fuel filter is only a few bucks and probably could use it anyways so I would do it and see if it changes. If it doesn't do the pressure test. Did any of the shops do the pressure test and give you numbers on PSI it might be running?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response Dozanti. The car seems to just cut out and die at idle when it is neutral. The shop did not perform a pressure test on the fuel line. I have read that you can tell if the fuel pump is out by taking off the gas cap and having someone turn the key to the on position and listening for the pump to turn on. Have you tried this before?

Once I replace the fuel filter, I will try to determine if it is the pump itself if the problem continues. I just ordered a Bentley Shop Repair Manual for my TT as I have not worked on Audi's before. Also, could this problem have anything to do with the fuel pressure regulator? Thanks.

Mike

Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 AM
1st Gear

Yes you can usually hear the pump running. But remember once it primes, you probably wont hear it, so you'll have to crank it over, shut it off, and let it sit for a few before trying to listen to it. Also, you're exactly right it could be a fuel pressure regulator. I would do the fuel filter and at the same time, check your vacuum lines. The fuel pressure regulator is vacuum operated and if you have a leak then that could most certainly cause your problem. Let us know your update !

Old 08-31-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

check the mass air sensor, keep it inline but unplug it. see if that keeps it running. that's the same symptoms of what happened to mine.