AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi TT (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/)
-   -   Turbo and CEL (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/turbo-cel-48110/)

diehlryan 12-04-2006 04:26 PM

Turbo and CEL

About 30mins into my drive to work today my CEL came on and I noticed the Turbo was not kicking in anymore. I also don't hear the "whine" of the turbo at all. Could my problems be related? Should I hear the whine of the Turbo all the time or just when kicking in?

Also I was in a fender bender Friday which resulted in the P/S bumper being pushed in about 1/2in. Could this be the cause? I'd like to know so I can make sure its paid for by my insurance company if needed.

I'm not car savvy and would like some help on this so I can feel better about it.

techbod 12-04-2006 04:31 PM

RE: Turbo and CEL

fault codes are required no point guessing at this stage

XCLR8TT 12-04-2006 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: diehlryan

About 30mins into my drive to work today my CEL came on and I noticed the Turbo was not kicking in anymore. I also don't hear the "whine" of the turbo at all. Could my problems be related? Should I hear the whine of the Turbo all the time or just when kicking in?

Also I was in a fender bender Friday which resulted in the P/S bumper being pushed in about 1/2in. Could this be the cause? I'd like to know so I can make sure its paid for by my insurance company if needed.

I'm not car savvy and would like some help on this so I can feel better about it.
Go to your nearby AutoZone and have them read the codes for you, that will give us somewhere to start.

diehlryan 12-04-2006 07:41 PM

any $$ to get that done at AutoZone?

slowtruck 12-04-2006 08:08 PM

they usually do it for free.

DenimTT 12-04-2006 08:53 PM

A CEL will put the car into limp mode sometimes and pull boost, thats why the turbo is gone. Dont freak out about that just yet.

Get the car scanned, and go from there.

diehlryan 12-04-2006 10:02 PM

I appreciate it people for the help and words of encouragement. Believe it or not there are no AutoZones in Montgomery County, MD (probably doesn't meet the yuppie standard) so I have to wait until I head back to Baltimore tomorrow for work. I'll get it scanned in the AM and put up the fault codes by lunch.

slowtruck 12-04-2006 11:36 PM

do you have a jiffy lube (dont kill me for mentioning that name) near you. i work at one and i know that we usually read codes for free.

diehlryan 12-06-2006 03:34 PM

Finally able to get to AutoZone today to have the codes read and it showed a:

171 Sytem Too Lean Bank 1.

What does this mean?

Also in regards to what I believe it my turbo not working, would this affect it? I am second guessing myself thinking my turbo is working because from other posts I've read people compare the 180T w/o turbo to driving a honda civic. Well I had a honda before this car and I can tell you even now its far far far better than driving a honda. Still lots of pick-up, chirping tires at green lights (even when shifting to 2nd gear) and honestly picks up speed quickly anytime i step on the gas.

HELP ME!!

techbod 12-06-2006 03:47 PM

P0171 system too lean bank 1 possible causes are intake/exhaust leak/ AIR system/ MAF sensor and a few more ill go with the intake/ exhaust leak check all the gaskets and vacuum pipes