Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

unusual problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Default unusual problems

Hey guys, I have been lurking for a while and every time I had a question was able to do some searching and find the answer, thanks for the help.

I'm having some big issues right now... I havent been able to find any threads on. 2 mornings ago i went out to my 01 tt roadster and the fob wasnt working. I manually unlocked the door, started it up and drove to buy new batteries. I replaced the batteries and it still wont work. Where it gets weird is with the following problems:

-Windows are working but wont go up all the way.
-Trunk button, gas button, lock/unlock button in center console, power top are not working.
-Dinging warning bell is going off at all times like a door is open.
-E-brake light stays lit all the time
-Overhead lights wont turn on

I tried to sync the fob as detailed in the owner manual.. nothing, the dealer said turn the key to on position in car and hold lock button..nothing

Any help or tips would be great, I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealership, i'm a broke student right now. Should I be worried its the cluster even though no lines are missing from the display and it seems to be functioning?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have two keys? If so, try the other one. If not, it sounds like the key needs to be reprogrammed. You may need to bring it to a dealer. Another option would be to order a new key with programming... It might not be much more expensive.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Dunno if this will work. Just a thought. But maybe disconnect the battery and let it set for 5-10 min then reconnect it... Like I said JUST A THOUGHT... But doing that u will lock up ur radio and will need a code for that.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
5th Gear

MAY lock the radio. usually only an issue for '00 models, after that they're more tolerant to a lack of power.

thats a weird list of problems though, I'll give you that. I'm gonna have to agree with the battery disconnect advice. It still wouldn't hurt to know your radio code before you attempt this. I'd also consider checking fuses (both in the dash, and the mains on top of the battery). Window issue can/should be reset by lowering the window, and then holding the switch until the window reaches the 'up' position, releasing the switch, and then holding it 'up' for ~2 seconds. Do both sides.

Let us know if you can get that to work. Like I said, thats a long, weird list of problems, and I've never heard of that much acting up at once.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

instrument cluster? that thing controls way more than you think and we all know they are bad from the factory. just another idea. Id take it to the dealer....they cant charge you if they dont do any work.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 PM
2nd Gear

Any codes? A lot of wonky things happen when battery voltage is too low. Its easy to test...gl

Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear

He also said his gas button wasn't working. Now I'm pretty sure that all VAG keys do not have a gas door open button on them so I'm assuming that he is referring to the button inside of the car. If it isn't working then the first thing I would look at is a blown fuse(s). The biggest thing that throws a flag for me to think this is that all of these problems seemed to have happened at once? Also I'm familiar with how most cars are wired (I'm a certified car audio installer) and all of those accessories seem as if that could possibly be on one circuit aka one fuse. So I'd check that before disconnecting your battery.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:19 PM

window reset wont work, checked fuses above battery, checked about 70% of fuses but its pouring out, disconnected the battery. I did mean the gas release in my car, no button works on my fob, none of the buttons throughout the center of the car work....headlights work, radio works, windows go up and down but only up to the point where they drop when you open the door.. thats it

does anyone know if my fob could have broke and due to an immobilizer or something my cars going crazy? i only have one key but would hate to spend the money on another if thats not the issue.

i think im going to breakdown and call the dealer tomorrow morning. any suggestions on somewhere good to go up in northern, ny...potsdam area without having to drive all the way to cny and deal with roger burdick again?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Wow that's sh*tty. Did all this happen at once? Sometimes you can't see the break in a fuse / another theory is a ground could have came loose. That can cause a lot of problems. As far as finding the ground? Needle in a haystack. Could be something small like the cig_lighter. Who knows? !