Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

without doing a chip, if I diode & mbc will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 07:18 PM
1st Gear
Default without doing a chip, if I diode & mbc will this work?

Ok, I got this car a few weeks ago 2000 tt 180 quattro, yes it has the timing belt done by previous owner about 10K ago, I'm ready for mods, I seem to know enough to be dangerous. I just got my boost gauge and will put it in this week. I looked on other fourms, on vortex there seem to be no straight answer, on a stock ecu can i do a 4.7V or 4.3V diode to clamp the voltage to keep the car out of limp mode, then use a mbc in line with the n75 to get more gains out of the stock turbo.? what is the highest saft boost you would go? How much gains will i get from this? I also have read a little about lemmiwinks which again some SAY you can adjust timming and fuel. any one messed with this ? what setting do you use? which cable also? THEN on audiworld the only say to do a chip/flash program, i am 2 hours away from a dealer and just find it hard to justify.the time and $500. if i can get say 80-90% of the performance from the diode and mbe. that cost$50-75. then play with limminwinks. Also I saw a "Split-Second" boost control system for the drive by wire 1.8t it also claims chip like performance and i have seen them for $125 i believe it is like the Freedom unit also. any one use this? I think i have done a fair amount of research and dont seem to have a clear answer. I want moderate gains lets say 30-50 hp. for now, later i would like to go to a fmic, swap the intake to a 225 unit and do maybe a kkk04 with a upgraded exhaust manifold or maybe another small set up I will not ever go real extreme. thanks for everyone input Wayne

Old 02-18-2007, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: without doing a chip, if I diode & mbc will this work?

You'll get about 1/2 the performance of a chip. Save your money and get chipped. There is a reason people get the chip first.. .It works and gives you the most performance bang for the buck.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

You'll get about 1/2 the performance of a chip. Save your money and get chipped. There is a reason people get the chip first.. .It works and gives you the most performance bang for the buck.

not to be a dick but dollar for dollar a diode is much more productive. You have to do more work to get the same results but i think its worth it.

I have driven a gti with an apr chip and running about the same in boostand my car seemed the same if not faster the the gti. Sorry but i still dont think unless you are trying to run 20psi w/ a chip it is worth it. But then again i never planned on keeping this turbo so why pay money for tuning for it?

Old 02-18-2007, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

I'd say go after the chip, easy and serious gains.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

This is my delima, i do plan on changing out quite a few things over a long period of time, this is not my daily driver but a toy, and i agree i dont want to spend $ and time on a flash and constantly have to drive over there to get new flashes, plus this may sound funny but i cant play with any settings if i get a flash without getting the sps3 which is even more$. im just getting back into a a fun tunner car, I had a very heavly modded 97 toyota supra twin turbo,( 6 years ago)Way before fast and furious, and liked the tweeking part of the car. SO 2 say chip 1 says no. has anyone played with lemmiwinks on a stock chip with a boost controler? any lean issues? how much can/ did you adjust the timming?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:09 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

not to be a dick
How come almost every post you say "not to be a dick" or "not to sound like a ********"? Anyways back to the subject I would say just save up for a chip, you will deffinalty feel the results and be competive against other TT's.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm make believe

a little protection for me. On this forum being the only diode kid everyone likes to jump on and put down what they dont know or understand, ie my new sig. So when i make my points i want people to know im not putting them down or starting stuff.

But if your goals are to move larger than the pea shooter turbo why pay for a chip? Spend $500 on something you dont plan on keeping. Hell thats leaves you less than a $100 short of a 50trim. I originally was going to go with a piggy back but now since giac released the del rio sw to everyone and is cheaper and better than other bt sw i might just go with them.

For less then $100, depending on what boost guage (which you need anyways) and mbc you by, you can be running 16-17 psi instead of 11 on the 180. Even on a ko3 thats still a big jump in power. So if anyone is actually interested or has questions i can and will answer them.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear

Cool good to know in case I run into some 180s here in OK

Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm make believe

Here is a guy that got 182whp and 200ftlbs @ 15psi no diode, and a cat delete

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2924513

not bad for just a few $$

Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 AM
1st Gear

Well CincyTT, I'm going to do the diode and mbc ordered a turbonetics today , i want a 4.3v diode correct? ther was some confusion on the vortex forum. should i run the mbc in line with the n75? kinda like the "boost machine" on modshack? seems to be the way to go. i also want to keep it to 16-17 lbs of boost correct, before i start leaning it too much. any addition info would be great Thanks Wayne

Quick Reply: without doing a chip, if I diode & mbc will this work?