B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1.8t head install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 AM
1st Gear
Default 1.8t head install question

Couldn't find an answer to this.. I got a new head for my 1.8t b/c timing belt snapped and bent valves. My question is to set the camshaft timing to TDC for the number 1 cylinder do you rotate the cams with the head off using the 16mm nut on the cam pulley until the line on the cam gear is in line with the line on the valve cover or do you put the head on the shortblock and put the timing belt on and then roate the crankshaft pulley until the cam gear mark is lined up with the valve cover mark, then take the timing belt off and set crankshaft to TDC for #1? Or am I completely wrong either way. Pretty much my question is how do you set camshafts to TDC for the #1 cylinder on a 1.8?? Thanks

Old 11-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Legal Moderator

Best way to do it is set the the cams tdc in the first place with all the pistons mid stroke. After install rotate crankshaft to tdc and install belt. I'm sure you're aware of the timing marks on the cams...

Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
Best way to do it is set the the cams tdc in the first place with all the pistons mid stroke. After install rotate crankshaft to tdc and install belt. I'm sure you're aware of the timing marks on the cams...
Yes, I'm aware of the marks on the cams, but I am putting a different head on the car like I said. So there would be no way to set the head with the motor assembled in the first place. Right now I have the head on the ground and I need to know the best way to set the cams so I can install the head back on to the motor.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:31 AM

head bolts are under the cams i do believe you would have to install the head first them the cams

Old 11-19-2011, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
head bolts are under the cams i do believe you would have to install the head first them the cams
No, you are 100% incorrect... Not very helpful to post information if dont know what u r talking about

Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 AM

DIY: B5/B6 A4 1.8T - Head Removal and Install

next time respond a little nicer champ. the only head i have ever removed the studs are under the cams. it was a suggestion not a 100% true face. trying to help. there are marks on the cams that will allow you to put the chain on correctly so the cams are together. put the pulley on the cam and line it up with the mark. on the case. then they will be at TDC. line up crank with TDC and install. theres marks. You should get a service manual, it would have told you this.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by crazyquik22023
Yes, I'm aware of the marks on the cams, but I am putting a different head on the car like I said. So there would be no way to set the head with the motor assembled in the first place. Right now I have the head on the ground and I need to know the best way to set the cams so I can install the head back on to the motor.
sorry I should have made myself clear. You are suppose to install cams at tdc while head is not installed. Put crank at mid stroke and install head keeping it tdc. Wait an hour for lifters to bleed and make sure cams are still at tdc then rotate crank to tdc. I'm not sure wait that other guy was saying though. The head bolts are fully accessible with a long enough bit but I'm sure you knew that if you took it off

Old 11-19-2011, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Exactly... I already stated that I had taken the head off so I'm not sure why he was giving me advice on removing head bolts. I wasn't trying to be mean but you just weren't answering the questions that I was asking about... Redline.. So is the way to get cams to TDC by taking off the cam tensioner chain and lining up the marks on the chain with the marks on the cam.. 16 links across and then reinstall the cam gear line up with the valve cover as stated about halfway down this thread? VWVortex.com - FAQ : Cylinder Head & Camshaft Removal + Re-Installation Also does it matter if any of the valves are open or closed? One of my intake valves is open... If I timed the cams by doing what I just said above the one valve will still be open correct? And would if be ok to install the head like this with the engine at mid stroke as you stated before? Trying to get this perfectly clear as this is my first 1.8t head swap...

Old 11-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Legal Moderator

Some valves will be open. I had a pretty rough time timing my cams getting the sixteen rollers in between marks so when I brought the head to the machine shop to check for bent valves I had them time the cams. The marks on the cams won't be exactly straight up but pretty close. You can then install it on the block. Like I said some valves will be open but not enough to interfere with the pistons. To check run a straight edge along the bottom of the head. If no valves hit the straight edge you are ok to install

Old 12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
1st Gear

Ok so I've been working on this head for way too long now. I have a feeling this used head I bought has bent valves to begin with. Head is installed good, brand new gasket and head bolts obviously. Just redid the cam timing and here are some pics so you guys can verify they are timed correctly although I'm fairly positive they are. Exhaust cam..http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s_img51822.jpg
Intake cam...http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s_img51824.jpg random pic...http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s_img51820.jpg. There are 16 links in between the two cam marks. Camshaft pulley lines up perfectly with mark on valve cover. Problem is I am still getting no compression. 0 compression on each cylinder which is leading me to believe the valves are bent on this head. The only other problem is I noticed the piston have a few marks in them from where the original head which has bent valves hit them. I don't think this is a problem since I know pistons for other vehicles are designed with the marks in them so compensate for heavy cams and lifts. What do you guys think.. thanks

Quick Reply: 1.8t head install question