B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1996 AC charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

It also appears that there is an F coded module for the early Zexel compressor equipped cars, good luck finding one of those.

It was cold out this morning and i only had a few minutes to fool with it before leaving for work, but I figured it was in auto, and the interior temp sensor thought it was cool enough in the car so it didn't pickup the compressor. I know it won't pickup the compressor at all below 38 degrees F, just need to see if once the outside temp gets above 60 it will engage it in A/c mode. It did engage the compressor when the defroster was put on which it has never done before, so I think its going to work, just need to do a few more checks to see if any codes come back.

Last edited by Mark C; 06-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

It's up and running blowing nice cold air, fan works in all speeds and in auto. Only issue is the display is still darkish and it blinks completely off then back on randomly, don't know if theres a loose connection in the conncetors on the back, or if one of the solder joints is going bad on the circuit board inside the unit. Need to find some of those elusive audi twist lock dash lights with the light green back to them (2.0W I think), or some LEDs if i coould figure out what kind fits in there (T1.5?).

Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mark C
It's up and running blowing nice cold air, fan works in all speeds and in auto. Only issue is the display is still darkish and it blinks completely off then back on randomly, don't know if theres a loose connection in the conncetors on the back, or if one of the solder joints is going bad on the circuit board inside the unit. Need to find some of those elusive audi twist lock dash lights with the light green back to them (2.0W I think), or some LEDs if i coould figure out what kind fits in there (T1.5?).
There is a 2.0 Watt and a 0.9 Watt. 0.9W often replaced with 1.1 W

I located them; had other stuff, so bit the bullet and paid ECS the big $$$ (shipping from them is ridiculous). Google for the part numbers below.

Instrument Cluster Bulb With Base - Priced Each ES#1306684
Repairs dark clusters.
4A0919040C
$1.95/ea

BULB ES#426314
893919040A
$3.15/ea

2 each (if all 4 are broken; check with ohmmeter); note positions where 2W go and where 1.1W.

Mine works perfect now.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

I have almost the same issue with my 96 A4. I just had the a/c recharged and it works great, but the display is dim on the fan side and black on the temp side. The buttons function as they should. Is this due to screen failure or bulbs as mentioned above?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by teddysart
I have almost the same issue with my 96 A4. I just had the a/c recharged and it works great, but the display is dim on the fan side and black on the temp side. The buttons function as they should. Is this due to screen failure or bulbs as mentioned above?
Definitely bulbs. Easy to change (they are external, regular bulbs; 1997 and on, they are internal LED on the printed circuit).
Take module out, screwdriver to (counterclockswise 90 degree) turnout the base, put new bulb with base in.

You may only need 2 (2 Watt and 1.1 Watt, see above). But may as well get all 4 (shipping from ECS is killing!).

Old 07-03-2011, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

I got mine from a place called Pelican Parts in CA, the bulbs were 1.50 apeice for either the 1.1, or 2W bulbs and shipping was only 5.95. I bought 6 of each and they showed up 3 days later. Of course I left them sitting in my living room this week ready to put them in yesterday, and my wife has been cleaning, and put them somewhere so now I have to find them.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the resources. But, are you sure that the H model controller for 96 has bulbs? I have not pulled it yet. It's 100 degrees outside in North Texas everyday for the next few weeks. So, I try to limit how much time I spend in a hot car working on the interior. I can get in there in the evenings and see whether or not it has bulbs or is lighted by the led board. If it is a board, does that mean the entire controller has to be replaced?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to be so dim (no pun)! I just re-read Vtraudt's post. Now I get it – mine is the same as yours and uses bulbs. I have a dealership 10 minutes away. Don't they carry these? In this area they usually sell below list price to try to increase traffic into the parts dept.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Yes, dealers carry them, the VW dealer ship near me wanted the part number becuase they couldn't look up "Audi" parts so make sure you take the part numbers with you. As far as pricing, I have never been to a dealer that had lower prices than the aftermarket places. Don't be shocked to hear 4 bucks a bulb at the dealer.

I replaced mine this weekend, the originals had 2 light green and 2 dark green backs on them. the outer 2 were light green and the inners were dark green. I put the light green ones I bought where the existing light green ones were and the 2W orange based ones in the center. My display isn't quite are red as the rest of the guages in the dash, but at least it works now. The blinking on and off of my display is being caused by a loose solder connection somewhere in the unit. If it goes out and I press on the center of the display it will come on and stay on for a while (maybe a few minutes, maybe the whole day, it depends). Oh well the unit continues to function wether the display is lit or not though.

Last edited by Mark C; 07-05-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. Audi did not have the bulbs in their system, and told me to check with their sister dealer (Porsche) next door. They have one for around $3, so I'll grab it tomorrow. My controller has the exact same symptoms as yours. I checked all the bulbs and only one is out. I may take the controller into an electronics repair shop, since I'm sloppy with soldering.

Quick Reply: 1996 AC charging