B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

1998 non-Bose amplifier

Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 1998 non-Bose amplifier

Hello all. I have a 98' a4 v6. The amp was removed and I'm looking for a replacement, but I can only find the ones for the bose system. I either need the part number or a site that sells them. I was hoping to get one off of ebay, but I only see the ones for the bose stereo. Can someone point me in the right direction? My next stop is the junk yard, I guess.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

im in the same boat, no amplifier here. im not sure if it's in the trunk drivers side slot (where it should go) or if it bolts to the rear drivers side speaker. I did in fact find this diagram though

- Red/blue stripe = 12 v
- Brown = ground
- White = remote
- Twisted Striped wires - left and right line out (these are non-amplified signals so no high low converter was necessary)

Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear

Why not just use an aftermarket amplifier? Almost anything is better than OEM sound equipment.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

^^ as im searching for a rinky dink generic amp from walmart locally to wire up...ANYTHING is better than nothing back there as it is.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

I actually took it to a stereo installer and I have some good news.

I originally thought that the previous owner cut some wires out of the harness. This was actually not the case. In the non-bose system, there are wires that are not used, and apparently look like they're cut.

Another thing that I found is after the stereo was installed, the rear speakers work!!! I guess in the non-bose system, there is actually no amp, but still a trunk mount for one.

I will be getting an aftermarket amp, but I didn't want to spend the money at the moment, so I was just looking for a quick fix. I was happily surprised when the rear speakers worked. Unfortunately I spent money on an install I could have done myself, but I didn't know it at the time, so it's all good.

I'm not sure if the 99 is the same setup as the 98. The concert stereo (I believe that they introduced it in 99) may have a stock amp, but I'm not sure. If your setup is the same as mine, then don't worry about it and just install your headunit.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

so what did the shop do? could you take a picture of what it looks like? I have a bracket hanging down (silver) with a green and black wire that's disconnected... I'm getting NO noise in the rear deck or in the rear doors with the factory stereo, so im really trying to figure out what exactly is the problem...i was assuming the amp was missing. If anyone had a picture of it, it would really help... I suppose I could take a quick picture of what it looks like now and post.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

here is what i am talking about. am i missing something?

Name:  1130001411a.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  12.5 KB

Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

Pictured is actually an amplifier, probably using a TI OPA-series or National Semiconductor power op-amp chip. Not going to be very powerful since it'll be driven by the ~13.5 volts of the car. Probably a stereo chip with the outputs in parallel to allow driving a 2-ohm speaker to get a reasonable amount of power out of the low supply voltage.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:57 PM

Hopefully not a day late or dollar short but with a VIN number we might be able to give you a great price on a Genuine Audi replacement. Best if you have the number off the old one but we can work with the VIN.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

well as of now im getting NOTHING out of the rear deck speakers and the rear door speakers (once the amp is plugged in )so i am assuming it was the amp went out. is there a fuse up front? where do the green and black wires go?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 non-Bose amplifier